Forums > Technical Discussion > Changes to www.fireperformers.com

Login/Join to Participate

stiltdancermember
2 posts

Posted:
Living in the U.S., I have one big questions:

- where to find insurance for fire performers (all the companies I know have dropped this coverage)

It sounds as if people in the US will not be able to participate.

Sean

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
I sadly second that

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
Joining is free, however minimal costs may be incurred in supplying copies of documents
(copier, fax costs, postage).

This is where you lost me Malcolm. Are you saying that you will send copies of our paperwork to perspective clients? (which is fine with me. It's a "I worked hard to get it so I flaunt it", kind of deal). However that puts you on the brink of being a manager...but not quite.

Or are you simply stating that for us to send this stuff to you, unless we have a fax machine/scanner handy, that it might cost us a bit to get our papers to you?

Personally Malcolm, if I were you, I would make the paperwork available for promoters/managers/prespective clients to see. I checked over my paperwork. I have no real personal data on them that I don't already share with my employers anyway. Since I would anticipate there being a real minimal amount of people in this program, you should have the ability to. This way an employer can be assured of having it, and a performer can find use in submitting it, other than just getting in the program.
BTW, I think the insurance thing is a great idea, however, for employers who are looking to sponsor performers to travel from overseas, they will need to provide insurance for the performer, as most insurances are restricted to the country they are purchased in. It is also important to note that venues have to have general liability insurance anyway, that performers insurance does not cover an event. (I have been approached by several party promoters who wanted me to perform because I have insurance and they did not for the entire venue from people who found me through the fireperf.com.)
There are many catches in the insurance area.

As for US, well, having insurance is important and is one of the earmarks of a professional presentation but not of being professional, that takes alot more than a couple of certificates. COTUS allowed anyone who would pay their fee to join. I disagreed with that, as it did not always mean the performer was a pro, just in a better place to become one. I think that the US taking the time to revamp the system is a good thing, and setting regs on the availability of insurance is also good. Insurance is available, but not cheaply (try about $1,500 to $3000 per performer). If it means all that much to you, and this is your only livelihood, you will get it. If not, it will come. Have patience and keep on practicing.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mirabelismember
11 posts

Posted:
Ok so i'm still not clear on who or where to get insurance. everyone i have talked to is either not taking on fire performers or they had a change in policy and dont cover fire performers. Please give me some hard core place, phone number or web site i can find some info on insurance!

Cheers!
Mirabelis

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mirabelis,

There are none. There have been several threads about this. Unless you are willing to pay out a few grand or get your Pyrotechnic license and pay for that insurance, there is no quick, easy nor cheap solution right now.

Sorry.
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK