Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Secret Garden Party 2008 - call for performers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
This is a call for fire performers - we're putting together a Big Burn of 100 spinners for the Secret Garden Party at the end of July, in Cambridgeshire. There are still a few spaces.

This is a fantastic opportunity to be part of something amazing at the best festival this side of the planet. (www.secretgardenparty.com)

Drop me a note if you're interested...

Alex Rinsler
Fire@secretgardenparty.com

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
it's a shame you're on at the same time as Play festival, which is where the spinners will be smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, there's a couple hundred fire spinners who were going to at Play that weekend that suddenly have nowhere to go! Secret Garden want to offer some space? wink

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
if nothing else comes up as an alternative to play, I'll be happy to come and spin some fire smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Secret Garden Party was a wonderful festival; I went there 2 years ago. If you are being offered free in for fireplay, that does sound like a good PLAY alternative!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ufo8mycatBRONZE Member
journeyman
60 posts

Posted:
here are the criteria:

- you need to be part of a group, with previous performance experience
- you need to be accountable for your own equipment
... and come to a rehearsal on the Friday
- then take part in the mass burn on the Saturday

the procedure is a little more complicated than that - first thing to do is to email me with contact details before the end of this week.

It is unpaid but a massive win win, given that you're getting into a great festival for practically nothing. And spinning fire round a magical lake, while we burn a 40ft pirate ship, with fireworks, flares and flaming Vikings, no joke.

Speak soon,
Alex
fire@secretgardenparty.com

it's not that i mean to set things on fire...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'll speak to the toast... or the Chimaera...

biggrin

To be honest, you guys are really lucky that PLAY has been cancelled. I also think that you'll get quite a large turnout too.

I'd like to put Chimaera's name in there as taking up some numbers...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Does it have to be part of a group being a fire spinner in glos is a bit lonely

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Chazz and rez are taking part in this wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'd love to go: but time + especially money are somewhat lacking: let us know if any of you decide to come visit cambridge while you're in the area!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
Why do ya have to be part of a group if it's a mass burn?

"Be the Bunny"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I guess so they know you can work with other people. I'll vouch for you . You're part of my group!!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
bounce2 ubbrollsmile i'm in biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
As an aside - is there any way some of us can be "affiliated" to get in free?

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
frown I can't afford to get there... Poop!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
OMG, such an amazing weekend.

Met lovely people, had lovely times, heard lovely music, lots of lovely juggling. biggrin

Kev and Peachi are awesome hosts biggrin and I couldn't have chosen a better group to play and camp with for a few days.

A few organisation details that could be improved (and some things that really didn't impress me frown ) but oh well. you can't please all the people all the time...

ok, back to reality. biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ditto

I think SGP just became my favourite festival...

Wicked to see so many people there, and even manage a couple of spins once the sun let off a bit biggrin

Next year anyone?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Good taste there, Mr Durbs.

It was my my favorite UK festival when I was over there; and with the lovely Peachi indeed! Only thing made me sad was how bloody messy you otherwise-lovely Poms are at festies. Cool setting and lovely stuff provided there, and people just trashed it with their rubbish. Sigh. Maybe this year the bin bag fairies magicked everyone in their sleep and they cleaned up after theirselves.
Glad you all had a good one

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
That was indeed a wicked weekend, thank you all the guys that made it so, and Durbs especially for getting me there smile Was fab to meet a load more new people, and I think the moment they lit the ship up is a defining moment of my summer, even if Durbs and i nearly got totalled by a stray firework...

biggrin

I'm there next year if it doesn't clash with PLAY *glowers at Dunc* :P

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a great festy, maybe I should have gone there instead of visiting friends in sheffield and getting my car keyed (£500 repair bill).

Written by :newgabe

Good taste there, Mr Durbs.

It was my my favorite UK festival when I was over there; and with the lovely Peachi indeed! Only thing made me sad was how bloody messy you otherwise-lovely Poms are at festies. Cool setting and lovely stuff provided there, and people just trashed it with their rubbish. Sigh. Maybe this year the bin bag fairies magicked everyone in their sleep and they cleaned up after theirselves.
Glad you all had a good one

Gabe, your so right about mess at festivals, at Latitude this year we did litter pick around our camping area and left it looking clean and yet walking back to the cars almost wondered why we bothered as the rest of the site looked like a bomb hit it. I'm still glad we did though as its attitudes like "if no one else does why should I" that got us into this mess in the first place.

With that and getting my car keyed I'm starting to loose faith in humanity. (Cue HoP to the rescue) wink

Motley

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Glad you all had a great time, gutted I couldn't make it!

Any piccies of the fireshow?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
had an awesome time there smile
the fire show was amazing, and i have a video (which only shows me with my back to the camera watching the pirate ship getting owned while spinning)

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I thoroughly enjoyed it as well, and am definitely planning to go again next year. Great to meet loads of spinners as well!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
wow ubblove I think it might be my favourite festy too (one's I organise don't count lol)

Written by Gabe

Only thing made me sad was how bloody messy you otherwise-lovely Poms are at festies

Normally I'd agree but for once I was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was. The only really bad litter I saw was in front of the main stage after the headline, but it was soon taken away by the litter fairies smile

Favourites bits....new friends ubblove who are lovely smile Old friends who are even lovlier! hug Being in totally the best spot of the fire show standing over the lake on the big bridge ubblove and naughtily....watching the girl get totalled by the (we reckon) 30stone of tractor tire with two people inside as it rolled down hill on it's way to a deep trench full of water. Oh how we gaffawed as she went down without even seeing it coming and a gentle splash was heard soon after the wheel disappeared over the edge.... ubblol

Massive thanks to Alex for organising the whole thing hug2 and with regard to....

Written by LTC

A few organisation details that could be improved

I agree somewhat, but from speaking with Alex he is very welcoming of feedback for future improvement and will listen to any comments you have to make the burn even better next year. So if you want to make it even better, email him smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
AWESOME bounce I loved it ubblove sunny

definitely going again next year, had a wonderful time, thank you especially to Kev and Peachi hug ubblove

YAY!

my photos smile
EDITED_BY: jo_rhymes (1217294955)

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
That was a great festival!

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yay Danny! biggrin

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
whaaay

awesome weekend. all those i didn't know before it was lovely meeting you! hope to see some of you at bristol?

the pirate ship was a bit good wasn't it. and i didn't sdrop my staff in the water while spinning on the bridge! bonus.

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Wow, that was so fun it's even made me come back on Home of Po for the first time in ages. Well actually, I'm here to post some pics of Lexie eating pie in my gallery but I wanted to come here to.

Thank you for the fun kids! grouphug bounce tongue biggrin kiss

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Thought I'd post a copy of the email from Alex on here for those who may not see it smile

======================

Hello wonderful people

I hope you have all reached home safely and in one piece. Bits of me are still on a lake near Huntingdon.

What a show - it was an honour to welcome so many spinners into a festival (we counted 120), and turn a beautiful lake into a magical encounter of fire and water. I was standing on the ridge with the crowd and the person two away from me turned to her partner and explained how this was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen, and he agreed with her for himself. We made a crowd of 7,000 extremely happy.

Where now?

It would be great to hear about your experiences - what you thought went well and where we can improve... any ideas as well as to what we should build next time...

If you're on the facebok, please join the FireWorks collective so we can stay in touch:

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4104059996

There won't be many opportunities to repeat what we did but if anything ever comes along you'll be the first to know... myself I'm in London but most the crew are from Nottingham and the Midlands.

Please do upload or send in any great photos you've got - I never managed to get one of us all together so if any of you have that, please forward on. And for those who haven't seen, here's the first video to go on the web, it's amateurish but gives an idea, watch out for better footage over the next few weeks:

Again please let me say how wonderful it was to meet so many beautiful people, have learnt a lot from you all, so grateful.

In peace,

Alex and the FireWorks crew

Alex

Let's relight this forum ubblove

devkevSILVER Member
discoverer of phat and poigling
292 posts

Posted:
yeah... thanks to everyone there... what fun smile .

lets have more of everything................................!!!!

its all about the fun fun fun fun and more fun...

Page: