ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
OK, this has been addressed I'm sure but I'll ask anyway and maybe someone can explain it better. Trying the atlernate butterfly, I'm tangling up when I try to alternate with my left hand. That is the one that is in front and under when I butterfly. My wrists are up, but I keep smaking my face cuase they tangle and it hurts. Thanks people, you're the best.

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
If you're hitting yourself in the face, it sounds like the planes of the 2 poi are crosssing each other near the top of their circles.

It may help to understand better what the alterate butterfly is ie- a normal butterfly turned on it's side. in other words a normal butterfly has both poi pointing the same direction at the top and bottom when they cross at the top and bottom (and opposite directions at the left and right), whereas the alternate has them pointing in the same direction when they cross at the left and right and opposite directions at the top and bottom.

Dunno if that helps

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

roryborymember
7 posts

Posted:
I guess there are different definitions of the alternate butterfly. The one described in the lessons on this site is a move where one hand is thrown over the shoulder and the poi spins behind the back for a beat. What you describe sounds interesting, I'll have to try it. Another way for me to hit myself.