Forums > Help! > some questions about fire-thing...

Login/Join to Participate

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
some questions:

1: for how long do your poi burn? what differences is there between different wicks (size and so) and fuels?

2: if i want to learn firebreathing and maby eating fire, how should i get info? i live in sweden and don't know any people doing that kind of stuff...

3: one staff, two.. staves? staffs? scince i'm from sweden i dont know how it is spelled....

anybody know the awnsers? biggrin i''d be happy if you do!

-----------

Dance! Twirl! Be Happy!

EDITED_BY: Disc0 (1097000618)

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
hey disco,
first things first
wavehello welcome to hop!!!

so 1)the length of poi burns dependant on type of wick and also just how tight the wick is, cos there are loads of wick i'll just talk about the plain regular tube wicks, dependant on how many rolls they are you should get a couple of mintues out of it, u can tighten the wick which increases burn time but decreases the flame size and vice versa for loosening it, hope that helps

2) fire breathing and im sure i'll be the first of many to say fire breathing and eating is REALLY REALLY REALLYA DANGEROUS, and i dont think you should try and learn it using web guides etc i think its only something that one should attempt after like lessons from an actual person who can physically show you.

3)one staff, two staffs

hope thats helps, take care
x

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
thanx for awnsers. scince i'm thinking of buying my first pair of fire-poi that about wicks is really important...
it's really nice to get an awnser that fast! especially when you're new here around!

Keep spinnig!

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
do you have any idea where your gonna get them?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
cos im so nice here are 2 links to what i would advise you to get since they are pretty standard and were the first ones i and most people get and i still use them, they r pretty cool, i standard length is 26 inches and a 65mm wick
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails.php/fire/75/poi/19/detail/Fire_Poi
and
https://www.firetoys.co.uk/cgi-bin/acatalog/Single_burner_poi.html
(scroll down to the poifect 26inch one) those are the standard beginner fire ones and are pretty cool

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
I would argue that if you are handy and can get the materials, making your own fire heads is the best way to go. Not only is it about the same price as premade heads (a touch cheaper in most cases) you also know what goes into them and why they are made the way they are. I think for me at least that adds a lot to my appreciation of what I am doing, though YMMV.

I highly recommend Adam Rice's cathedral wick instructions however I personally use quick links instead of welded rings and I just thread the cable straight through the wick and buy crimps to close the cable (instead of using the copper tube).
This ends up being nearly indistinguishable (at least in appearance) to these wicks available from Fire By Riz.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
3) Technically it is 2 staves, but no-one says that. A lot like the plural of penguin is pengii wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Oh, and just for reference, (since I actually ignored most of your question in my last post) my home made cathedrals (3 feet of kevlar each, with denim tucked in between some of the folds to enhance absorbancy) regularly gave me a good 5 to 7 min burn with citronella, occasionally a longer burn with pure lamp oil.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

the plural of penguin is pengii wink

I did not know that. But hey, at least I can juggle juggle

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
pengii?? durbs where do u find this information lol ubblol

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, mostly I make it up...

It's part of my campaign to convert all plurii to end in ii.

Although I haven't worked out the plural of moose or house yet.
Moosii? Mii? umm

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:

Although I haven't worked out the plural of moose yet.
Mii? umm

Damn right!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahh - but then what's the plural of mouse?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Mooinii, of course

(I knew I was doing an english degree for something)

Thoreau

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
here's a question. biggrin If the plural of goose is geese. What's the plural of mongoose? smile

Two staves.

As for poi. I haven't quite made my own sets yet (I've ordered the wicking though, and just need to get on a mission and actually put them together)

My monkeyfists last about 8 minutes, 4 inch tube cores last about 5 and the 2.5 tubes last about 3-4 using kerosene. I use a shot glass to measure fuel out so there's no need to spin off too much excess fuel. smile it saves a bit. Hope it helps.

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:

Well, mostly I make it up...

It's part of my campaign to convert all plurii to end in ii.

Although I haven't worked out the plural of moose or house yet.
Moosii? Mii? umm

So what would two musashii be??

(other than more trouble than the world needs)

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

WaiBRONZE Member
24 posts

Posted:
Hey another Swede in this forums biggrin. In what city do you live in ? If you live in GBG It would be cool to meet up and spin something togheter biggrin.

If you are going to buy your Pois I recommend you do it on this website they have fine products and foremost they send things very fast and you will recive it in no time biggrin. Fuel I recommend Lamp oil, Festival Olja is a very clean and good oil. I think the burns last about 3-5 mins depending on your wicks.

And as PyroWill says': Learn from an experience person! It is so easy to hurt yourself, Ive seen experience fire breather doing misstakes and it can end up pretty nasty although firebreathing looks cool. GL and HF with your pois.

//Wai

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Written by: Katch

here's a question. biggrin If the plural of goose is geese. What's the plural of mongoose? smile

actually, both mongooses and mongeese are correct.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
No way! See, they're hogging all the plurals. Mongooses should be the plural term for sheep. They don't even have one.

Thoreau

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Sheeps?

Sheepii?

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Shoop?

Then when you can't get to sleep at night you'd be counting sheep, but in a soothing kind of motown way...?

Thoreau

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Guys, please stay on topic and leave the rubbish in the Social Chat forum. Thanks.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Have done - It's in Fu##'s post about chatting to gii wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi