Forums > Help! > Script learning techniques

Login/Join to Participate

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Okay, have tried searching but can't find anything so apologies inadvance if there's something I've missed.

basically I've managed to get some last minute acting work for a play thingy, but the opening night is saturday, so I have very little time to learn the script.

Does anybody have any suggestions tips etc on how i may be able to do this?

Bearing in mind i work all day and only have an hour between work and rehearsals every night, and i don't have access to a computer unless at work, and have no access to a tape recorder or anyone to read through with me in the very small slots of free time i have.

Or am i just plain screwed!? ubblol

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Judging by that, i'd say screwed! ubblol

Can you not buy a cheap tape recorder and listen on a walkman? That's the only way i've ever been able to do it. Then you can listen in the car and at home and it will go in and stay.

Or is there some sort of technology that you can record the lines onto something on your computer then play back the file through a MP3 player or iPOD thing? I'm sure there's some geeky way of doing that??

How do you normally learn things? do you need to write/read it over and over or do you recall speech. I recall speech so need to listen to the lines whereas other people can just read them...

Gayle.....!

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblolYeah screwed....i figured as much!

Not allowed to use work computer for that, don't have a tape recorder or a walkman, and as I'm working have no way of getting to a shop to buy one.

Normally i learn through speech, or reading the lines through with someone.

As a general rule I'm pretty good at it but only found out i was doing it yesterday so 6 days is a little tight.

Think i may change the thread title to "Miracle wanted"

rolleyes ubblol

monseratSILVER Member
My flabber is gasted
737 posts

Posted:
The way I learn lines is trying to remember sections as if I were telling a joke or a story. Finding a pattern or rhythm to what I'm saying helps too.

Good luck! hug

Chaos is the natural state of the universe

Some days I'm the pigeon, some days I'm the statue.

honourary militant margerine ninJAH

If it wasn't for displacement activity I wouldn't get half as much done

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I agree with a tape recorder technique but as well as/instead of recording yourself on the tape. Record someone else's voice - perhaps not a fellow actor otherwise it can spark a bit of prima donna rivalry!

That way you can listen to the 'performance' and it would improve your memory of not only what the lines are - but how it should be spoken...

Even get a video of you blocking a scene - with scripts in hand if necessary. It's true that people will remember the mistakes more so don't be too concerned with getting the performance right during the recording...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
thanks hun but i don't have time/resources to record stuff. hug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
How about you post it on HoP and we all phone you whilst you read it to us and we prompt you? wink

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Isn't posting scripts online usually the work of spoiler-hungry film geeks who post on www.aintitcoolnews.com?

What?

Why's everyone looking at me?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblolNot too bad an idea Sym!!

You offering then? wink hug

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I'd go with the reading/ speaking learning routine if its worked for you before- I've had to cram lines before and often it comes down to just putting in the hours smile

I guess you just need to find some very willing friends or call in some favours (I would offer but alas work n'all that).

Break a leg BTW biggrin

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
This is just an idea that occurred to me - obviously I don't know how you learn or to what extent you can already remember your part... so apologies if it's irrelevant or no use whatsoever!

What if you tried mentally dividing your part into clearly defined sections? Give each section a name, maybe based on its key theme, where it takes place or anything you'll remember it by, and perhaps even associate a colour with it.

Then you can divide each of those sections down. Maybe into particular conversations, or topics it covers.

You can keep doing that into as much or little detail as you want...

Write the sections, sub-sections etc down (this is where the colour association comes in) - it'll help you remember what order things happen in and you've then got a handy bit of paper to refer to whenever you want. Leave it next to you at work or whatever to glance at so it can sneak into your brain while you're mainly focusing on other things.

You can then use the list to mark which parts you feel most confident in, to make sure you cover everything adequately. The possibilities are endless!

Anyway, the main idea is it'll give you an overview of where everything happens, and provides a context for remembering the individual lines.

Really hope it all goes well! hug