Forums > Advanced Staff moves > Throwing into contact moves?

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
So I've started working on throwing into contact moves, so far I've managed angel rolls and steves. I can do small throws pretty well, but if I throw it higher with more spin, it gets less and less accurate

So my question is mainly about vertical moves, how should I catch it?
at what point of the spin? diagonal? horizontal?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I catch into steves from a flat horizontal spin. I prayer steve up the arm with a whip to send it up watch abouot 2 spins then catch it where it should have carried on back into a prayer, keeping horizontal the whole time. Angel roll throws I keep vertical. I don't seem to catch any contact in a diagonal even catch into fishtails stays vertical.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
If you can fishtail into an angel roll I would practice the catch into fishtail loads and loads. Then work on instantly transfering into the roll from there.

I think that I make the catch while the staff is diagonal but in the vertical plane, so I can 'scoop' my wrist under the lower end to start controling the spin as it hits me.

For catches into halos I try and make contact while the staff is vertical - pushing sideways into it, although that is from kickups so theres not exactly much airtime!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: _Poiboy_
So my question is mainly about vertical moves, how should I catch it?
at what point of the spin? diagonal? horizontal?

Horizontal. Always horizontal... i think smile
From my experience it works for both angel rolls and vertical steves from throws of any height.

These are both rolling moves tho, I don't know about catching from height into halo or SNES or anything like that, Kyle can catch into a horizontal matrix from height so I guess it could be done with vertical stepping moves... it may hurt tho!

EDITED_BY: DaG (1252047471)
EDIT_REASON: more info