blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, I finally decided to register and post, I've been reading posts for about a month now and have learned a lot from everyone, thanks. Anyways, I am curious of moves to learn...I have been spinning for about 1.5 months, learning the basics from my sister and figuring a bunch out by myself.The moves I can do already include the butterfly family (including mexican wave stuff), fwd and bkwd weave with turning, windmill and corkscrew combinations with weave...I think I can do a low fountain but I am confused about what it is...can someone help?My main question is with behind the back moves, I would really like to learn the btb butterfly and weave but cannot figure out how to swing back there without hitting myself...any help would be great thanks!

Defy Gravity!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
We've been discussing the lower fountain. It's basically a weave-turn without moving your feet. So you face one way doing the fwd weave, rotate your torso and go into a rvs weave.BTB weaves are hard, and also frequently discussed. Do some searches on it. It takes a lot of practice. It took me a solid month of daily practice before I could do a btb weave at all, and another 4 months before it really felt fluid.BTB butterflies: a rvs is a lot easier than a fwd, but again, practice practice practice.With some moves, and some people, there's a magic explanation that makes it all clear. Not these suckers.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I learnt a really neat trick for the btb moves that allowed me to get the rvs-btb-weave in less than a week... I'll try and explain it...k, this is what i did:hold the poi at waist level on each side, then start them swinging like pendulums, in sync.just as they start swinging forwards, put one arm (i put my right) onto the opposite side, so both are on the same side swinging forwards.then, make your arms swing their poi harder so that they do proper revolutions.bring the arm that isnt across your back over to the other side.This is I started learning the btb moves... it took me like one day to get the btb figure eight with this (after 2 weeks of struggling with other recommended techniques :P) and it was fairly easy, two or three days work, to move up to the full btb weave after that.hope that helps! its great if you can get someone to show you and help you.Ed------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your help, I'll do a search and try that method blackbird! One more thing if you have the time...I tryed searching for what a full fountain is but theres too many answers, could someone (Adam you seem educated on this smile ) please answer that...thanks again!

Defy Gravity!

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Hey ONE more thing I promise grin...I've just been trying crossing over behind my back, swinging both ways...I am wondering which direction to spin in for each weave...my real question is which way do you spin the poi's on your side to do the rvs btb weave?I tryed to do what I thought was the right way to do it (swinging them bkwds on my sides) and crossing over and I kept hitting my shins everytime...that got me thinking maybe I should be swinging in the other direction for the rvs btb weave...im just confused wink...thanks

Defy Gravity!

rangerbethanymember
70 posts

Posted:
i only just learnt btb shit recently so i don't know if it helps much but, if your hitting your shins you are definately doing the reverse btb (hurt me too) forwards is heaps easier. and i found that it was much easier to get the reverse by turning around and just following through to do a 5beat weave- but i had to try not to dodge my poi everytime i turned around. this was the first move that me, my poi and my hands all disagreed with. grrrrrrr..... madbeth------------------floating drifting fading awayhow could these stimulants lead us astray?

floating
drifting
fading away
how could these stimulants lead us astray?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
OK, a few things:- There's been a lot of discussion on the full-fountain, too. That's like a half-fountain or lower-fountain, but as you move from rvs weave to fwd, you bring the chains over your head into a windmill and then back down into the fwd weave. I've also heard this called "around the world."- There's some ambiguity (perhaps caused by me) as to what is a fwd btb weave and what is rvs. People often clarify by calling it the "shin-basher" or "titty-twister." I found the shin-basher to be much easier than the titty-twister. Everyone's different.- Blackbird's technique is clever, but it's also possible that he (she?) is a natural.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy