T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Have there been any moments or something you have learned or figured out that has totally changed your way of spinning. You know when something just clicks and it all makes sense?

I have recently been learning about how the poi move in relation to each other when at different points of my body or in different places, and suddenly a lot of moves which were before "i move my hands in a certain way and it does this", but after analising it a bit more I realised why and how they do it.

So what were the eurika moments for you?

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Alien Code. It clicked earlier this year and, frankly, makes a hell of a lot of sense when looking at hybrids and similar.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Alien code?

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that I've had two truly defining moments in my spinning quest.

First it was the joy I was filled with once I realized I was able to control the poi anywhere I had my hands. Whether above my head, behind my back, arms crossed, under the legs ect ect... Just being able to keep my planes straight and build patterns one on top of the other for hours on end. (With out hitting myself!)

Secondly in the past three months or so the whole idea of shifting planes has firmly been imprinted into my spinning. I don't just mean wheel to wall and back again. I mean wheel to wall to horizontal to 45 degree to whatever I can think of. Shifting from one plane to the next with a stall is such an easy and beautiful tactic that I think is not used nearly enough.

Well I lied I've noticed a third coming to me this past week. Tangles! While I still don't fully understand them this whole idea of tangling the poi into an infinite hyperloop and THEN making patterns has been slowly creeping into my mind. Finally I feel I almost have a solid understanding of the knots involved with tangles. And its just good clean fun!

Any others?

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
My major milestones:

Transition from forward to reverse 3-beat: You can finally move!
Stalls: Instant direction and plane changes
Flowers: You can move your arms wherever you want
Antispin: And the other way. New flowers too

The moment when you finally have full range of motion is glorious. Truly being able to move in any way you want opens so many doors.

@bjrcboy: Recently fell in love with airwraps too, very addictive! Just got them while I'm BTB waist wrapping, feels amazing laugh3

@T-S-A: I'm guessing he's referring to Alien Jon's method of breaking down the physics behind the poi. If you haven't checked them out, you should. Very helpful
EDITED_BY: AllToreUp (1257292459)

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Mine would definitely be my newfound dedication to body movement, it's improved my poi so much, and it's something I've always been missing.

Also, flowers, stalls, spirals, and plane changes have all opened up my spinning and have all really improved my flow.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
It came up in a post on tribe.net. I will have to hunt for it.

It was as a response to Olive's hybrid maths and his attempt to codify the different types of hybrid.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Besides stalls, which have done a lot to let me control the spin, something also really clicked after I learned crossers. I doubt this particular leap would happen for everyone, but once I got crossers I was able to move my poi from anywhere, to anywhere, around my body. It was like my muscles figured out "oh, that's what what you've been trying to do all this time."

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

LyeFate Keeps Telling Me To Stop
270 posts

Posted:
A bunch of things are about to link together for me. Crossers (a bunch of them), cosmos, fountains etc as one. I can feel it. I can't wait.

AllToreUpSILVER Member
the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away...
19 posts

Posted:
Oh... you're talking about Continuous Assembly Patterns... Actually, Alien Jon has some GREAT vids on those.

@Lye: I absolutely LOVE those moments... Nothing clicks for a whileeee then BAM! Everything just makes perfect sense. Good luck!

I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I thought he was talking about the unit circle etc, explanation for breaking down and understanding any hybrid (including CAPs)

hug

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I think when I learned to turn it was my o snap moment. From there I was able to flow more, rather then go from move A to move B to move C I could do move ABC all at once and then go ACB. It let me really work on my functional plane control so I could learn some more advanced tricks too. I have a decent flow and I've been spinning for a long time, but I don't know if I would consider myself advanced. I never got too deep into the really techy world of poi.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI thought he was talking about the unit circle etc, explanation for breaking down and understanding any hybrid (including CAPs)

Yip. You can apply it to pretty much any hybrid. At least, I have not been able to come up with one which does not fit. Although, here you get into the sticky territory of what exactly a hybrid is. tongue2

And crossers when they finally clicked for me were a case of "Oh. That thing that I have been doing as a transition.". wink

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonOriginally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI thought he was talking about the unit circle etc, explanation for breaking down and understanding any hybrid (including CAPs)

Yip. You can apply it to pretty much any hybrid. At least, I have not been able to come up with one which does not fit. Although, here you get into the sticky territory of what exactly a hybrid is. tongue2

And crossers when they finally clicked for me were a case of "Oh. That thing that I have been doing as a transition.". wink

Personally I still believe a hybrid is when the poi are doing two things. i.e isolation vs extension, antispin vs extension, isolation vs cateye. ect ect. I also still refuse to accept CAPS as "moves". To me CAPS are a great! way of relaying a awesome techy move combo to your mates, much like siteswap is for juggling. Have you guys seen Drex's recent video on classifying hybrids? Great incite in his Tech Poi Blog and he has a new site worth checking out(well if your not familiar with his blogs) https://www.drexfactor.com/
https://www.drexfactor.com/

I completely agree with the crossers! All of a sudden one day they clicked and it opened a entire other world I never knew existed.

Peace, Love and Circles

P.S.
I love how much more active the forums have been lately. I don't know about you guys but I don't get the chance to spin with people often; so youtube and forums are one of my only "community" outings. Even though I live in the Bay Area I just can't make it up to the Vulcan to spin with them. Double Majors suck! and so does managing a rather large pool. =( If only life consisted of compound circles made of fire!

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bjrcboyI love how much more active the forums have been lately. I don't know about you guys but I don't get the chance to spin with people often; so youtube and forums are one of my only "community" outings.

Yeah. Same boat. Although there is a reasonable little group around, they do not seem interested in pushing the limits. frown

Oh yes, the hybrid theory on Drex' page is good.

Hmmm.... Other stuff that really had a definite eureka moment was butterfly weaves. Once I realised that it was a forward weave on one side and reverse on the other, it just clicked immediately. grin