Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > weave with 1/2 buzzsaw - i keep hitting my face!

Login/Join to Participate

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
can anyone explain how you do the move where you add 1/2 a buzzsaw (with one hand) in the middle of a weave (i.e. weave at each side with 1/2 bs in the muddle) i saw someone do it (eek)and CANNOT work it out. It's really beginning to annoy me. mad

thankyou!!!! smile ubbrollsmile smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Could be many things.

It's a good idea to be able to transition in and out of buzzsaw smoothly and I think what your looking for should come to you pretty naturally.

To get used to it practice one poi at a time, say right arm. Straight out in front of you....poi on LHS of right arm, poi on RHS of right arm and repeat. In, out, in out....etc

Now do it with both poi at the same time split time on their respective side of the body. Moving in and out of buzzsaw.

Now work on moving right poi from outside your left arm back to buzzssaw and visa versa. It's the same kinda motion for a weave.

The simplest one I can think of is only kinda a weave....I'm at my desk so this is only from memory and could be totally wrong ubbangel

Try this...

- right hand outside over top left arm (circle 1 like weave) while left hand in underneath on RHS

- right arm buzzsaw (circle 2) as left hand returns to outside LHS

- right arm buzzsaw circle 3 as left hand goes over the top of right hand for the mirror of circle one with right hand.....

rinse and repeat always repeat.

Hope that helps

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
sounds like a buzzsaw weave to me.

just with one hand: like the 3bt weave does 'over, under, back', this one does 'over, under, buzzsaw'.

the hard bit is the fact that when you want to spin that buzzsaw beat, your other arm is across your body (i.e. the position it will be in while it is spinning the 'over, under' beats).
this means you have to buzzsaw around that arm i.e. the poi comes up from underneath and goes between your body and your crossed arm before back to crossed outside to the start again for the 'over' beat.

description by arashi [Old link].
further discussion [Old link] (on page 2 mainly).

by the way, are you very ickle and were you at spitz the last two weeks?

if so, hello, i'm a tall person who is taller than small people even when they stand on ledges in cafes (and am probably the person you saw spinning this move too).
if not, hello anyway biggrin and i hope to meet you one day smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
I still can't get this bugger either - grrrrr mad

Can just about manage the 5bt version where the buzzsaw comes just before you twist your wrists round. 3bt definitly looks nicer though.

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
yes, i am indeed very ickle (5' exactly!) and you were also taller than me when i was standing on a ledge.

proabably explains why i keep hitting myself n the face - i've got short arms! or maybe i'm just rubbish ubbloco. You decide.

strong-bad pop up book,

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey ross.

there's this version too [buzzweave.avi courtesy of ICoN] which i consider to be a 5bt variation but apparently people are not counting the inside beats at all(!?) so it makes it 3bt i guess.

that counting scheme would make the move above a 2bt buzzsaw weave maybe (2 beats outside, one in)?
arashi?
anyone that can count...?

i really don't understand how you'd get 5 beats outside and still do this crossover but i reckon if i leave it alone you'll be able to tell me next time i see ya (cos i'm sure you'll have the 3bt one down by tomorrow night at the latest if you really want it).

hug wave

tao star - had a feeling that was you smile
its neither of those reasons though - you kinda have to isolate it around the arm if you want it to fit well.
will show ya tuesday if you is there and interested?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Hmm,

Good point on the counting, I think what I'm calling a 5bt is actually 7 counting the two inside beats ... confused

Haven't got 3bt yet, have been playing guitar too much

wave

Ross

added a bit later: nearly there but was distracted by siteswap
EDITED_BY: Blackass (1077575943)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hey ross if its the one i showed you its definitely a 5bt. and my counting is that it is beat 3 that goes inside... starting from the first one to cross to the other side...

mmmm just bought some ultra tasty faerie ben poi ubblove

and a hat that costs about the same as one of those lovely aerotech balls you bought for te POOKa without telling me spank ubblove

smiles
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
I only bought that because you and Ian lost one. spank

How was Brighton?

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
bit late, but...

not sure when i'll be back at spitz cos i'm on a show at the mo, so maybe a couple of weeks. I might be able to get a night off but i doubt it. frown

anyhoo, then i've got jury service for 2 weeks which ends about 4 hours earlier than college! so i'll be out & about with a vengance! mad weavesmiley mad

strong-bad pop up book,

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Got it biggrin eek

Almost got it backwards too ubbangel

wave

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
smile ubbrollsmile cool ubbrollsmile smile wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! smile ubbrollsmile cool ubbrollsmile smile

(i got it)

strong-bad pop up book,

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
biggrin