Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Protecting wicks while practicing...

Login/Join to Participate

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Just got my beautiful new staff and was wondering what the best way of protecting the wicks was while practicing (i.e. without fire).
At the moment I'm having to practice over tarmac/paving stones and I guess dropping the staff repeatedly is going to fray the wicks... So I've stuck a pair of socks (rolled over a couple of times) over the wicks smile
This has made the ends a fair amont heavier and I was wondering whether you just need to cover the wicks with a small sock - or whether a couple of layers of sock is more preferable (or worse?)
(what a dull post I know!)

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
I'd say what you have is a good idea. Bearing in mind, of course, that when your wick are soaked in parafin they will gain weight so the extra weight from the socks shouldn't be a problem.

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

truespinnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
Cheers noodles - this is what I assumed too smile
Also has the added benefit of stopping it making such a loud noise when I do drop it - meaning I can practice till later without annoying the neighbours too much

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
smile

I made myself little wickbags for the exact same reason.. Being the idiot that I am however, I lost them frown

They were basically bags that slip on the end that cna then be tightened up with a string pull smile

But they did the job.

As for parrafin, I don't really find that it makes that much of a weight difference, but htne again, thats just me shrug

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Use wee baby socks. Or make covers . You can even make them a feature by making them in furry material with elastic to keep them on. I found drawstrings didnt work for me.
I line mine with ripstock nylon to keep the smell out of the fur a bit more.
They do end up looking like big enjo cleaning sticks.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Best thing I've seen and used meself camefrom MCP's inspired mind:
Beer bottle coolers made from neoprene (Wetsuit material). They have a zip up the side and can take hefty hits.
And then whil eyou play fire you can keep your beer cold...
Full blown genius!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that's a great idea mr dave!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
1 idea I have seen is foam pipe cladding. soft and cushiony biggrin makes your satff look like that pugel stick in gladiators. ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.