Forums > Help! > Volunteering in Thailand!

Login/Join to Participate

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
This is a bit of a cry for help!!

I've just returned from a trip to South East Asia where I ended up volunteering in Khao Lak, Thailand for 6 months. I was working for the Tsunami Volunteer Centre on a construction site rebuilding houses for tsunami affected families. It was the most amazing experience ever! smile

But the trouble is people don't realise that there is still work to be done and that there are still hundreds of people in temporary camps as they have no permanent homes. The TVC are just about to start a new project building a further 57 houses and they need more volunteers. You don't need any special skills, just a two week commitment and lots of energy! bounce

You can check out the work of the TVC
here. Also it would be really cool if people could print off the attached poster and display it in as many places as possible. They really need more people to help right now!!

Thanks all biggrin Poster hug

Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while you just might miss it!

little_harrietBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
i'd love to volunteer my time, but i've found with a lot of volunteer projects that they need a great deal of money as well as time & i just can't afford to pay £2500 (the average cost of volunteer placements) on top of flights etc. is this one the same kind of deal? thank you

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
I also found that when researching volunteer placements and thats why I abandoned the idea of volunteering in South America which was my original plan. I stumbled across the TVC and all they charge is a registration fee of 1000 Bht ($27, £14) which covers admin etc. Whilst working, transport to the work site, lunch and drinking water are provided but you have to pay for your own accomodation in local guesthouses and other food.

Life moves pretty fast and if you don't stop and look around once in a while you just might miss it!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Even though I don't get it, why the government rejected international aid, but I'll be in South Thailand early next year, put this thread on my favourites and will seriously consider it.

Thanks for posting this here, with the forthcoming Rainbow gathering I will also spread the word.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Fire tom, the government only rejected aid for the first " disaster relief" period, a few months.They later did accept the funds and efforts of the larger international NGO's for the developmental stages... They were trying to avoid the "strings" and accountability issues associated with accepting the international money, and intended to demonstrate themselves as a first world nation capable of taking care of their own people( which they definately failed to do!)

It was such a complex nightmare-- you know how corrupt Thai government is I am sure. Worst than most, cause it always looks good on the surface and is rotten not so very far below.

Sezzie, thanks for reminding people! I worked there for a few months after the tsunami, and have been sending friends there to volunteer ever since. I will be going back in January, but only for a few weeks, mostly to catch up with the friends that live there and the families I worked with.

Everyone that I know who has volunteered has come back raving about what a positive experience it is. A great community effort working with Thais and a really cool international range of people.

Do it!!!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
Hey Banshee - We probably know a few of the same people then!!! I had such a great time in Khao Lak and will never forget it. Both for the other international volunteers that I met and the great fun that I had and the experience I gained from spending time in a Thai community outside of the tourist trail. I worked alongside Thai families and made lifelong friends. I would truly recommend it to anyone that can spare the time.

SezzieSILVER Member
journeyman
54 posts

Posted:
*Bump* Just doing my bit for the TVC!!!!