142857stranger
4 posts

Posted:
I have just lit my fire staff for the first time and the smoke was very black and there was huge carbon deposits on the wick and the end of the pole. I am using paraffin(admittedly B and Q stuff for paraffin lamps but paraffin is paraffin isn't it?) I don't remember it being so black with friends staffs. Why is it so 'carbony' is there different types of paraffin? or is it just the first burn? or is it normal?
Thanks

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I believe there are different types... thing is, in Australia its not commonly referred to as paraffin, I think you may have picked up citronella... I think it has additives or something, I dunno.

I use D60 so I'm not so up with the other fuels. I never had so much black on mine, but as I said I don't use paraffin or kerosene...

is yours labelled "Paraffin oil" or something like that?

hug

142857stranger
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Its this stuff

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
You will get black deposits on your staff after using paraffin, clean the staff off with a cloth, and let the wick fend for itself!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

142857stranger
4 posts

Posted:
What other fuels to people use?, I'm new to this, is there an article on different types of fuels?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I just bumped a thread in the forums, but its based in Australia.

hug