Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I was just mucking around tonight and i figured out that you can do a one-handed 3-9 butterfly, or whatever it is called when the poi intersect at horizontal rather than vertical. So, I guess (unless you alrteady know how to) you are thinking, how do you do it? Well i wouldn't want to leave any of you in suspense, so here is my lame attempt at explaining:Basically, you go into a one handed butterfly, then start moving your hand left-to-right-to-left etc. From doing this (I dont know why) the poi start to intersect at the horizontal instead of the vertical.there are probably other ways you can do this, but i haven't really had a chance to explore the possibilities (should i say, poi-sibbilites(lame, and done a hundred times before, i know)) fully as of yet.

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I just realised why moving side to side changes the intersection point....When you are doing a normal one handed butterfly, your hand goes up and down. So, by moving your hand side to side you are sort of doing a normal butterfly turned on its side. I hope that makes sense.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
This is and old thread (March I think) but since I am new I thought I would revive it! I haven't seen ES around before, but oh well.- good use of the search function too! *sucks up to the moderators!!*Today while doing a butterfly - I kinda lost my rhythm and they started going diagonally - crossing at about 2 and 8 on the clock. It looked pretty cool and I gradually moved the crossover point around to 3 and 9 and then back. It is a simple thing, but I reckon it would help people work on their timings - to control the rate at which the crossover moves etc. It also looks pretty cool smileDoes this have special a name - is it just an asynch. variation of the butterfly?------------------Well my thinking is this: if it's empty, fill it with cream[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 23 October 2001).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
one handed split-time butterflyor when you do it with two hands it's just called a split-time butterfly------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 23 October 2001).]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It does look nice to go from split time to in time butterfly on the 8 or 16 beats of music. Nice to catch your breath and/or hold a pose. Hard for the crowd to figure out what you're doing as well...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Hey there Bendy!Im still around, although I mostly stick around in the shadows. I remember when I first posted this, I had only been doing poi for like a month at most. Ahh, the memories smile