Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Alright. Ive been spinning for about a month now. Its incredibly addicting. I have got down the three beat weave, and I have looked at the lessons page to try and increase the number of beats in my weave to four. But these lessons arent really helping me. Can anyone try (TRY!) and explain it for me. Thanks!

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Hi Mate,I have been trying to master the 5 - beat weave today. As a concequence I have a very sore left B@ll@ck but can manage what I believe is the right motion for a 5-beat on the RHS of my body.I start spinning in the 3-beat and then when on the RHS put in an extra spin, twisting my wrists so that my RH is below my left. This allows you to get the extra spin in(while the left is twisted so that it is above)and then I bring the LH ball back to the LHS of my body (wrists still twisted) complete the turn with the RH ball and do a normal 3-beat on the LHS.I hope that this is half of the 5 beat as I am trying to learn it on the LHS now before I combine the two... o O (might invest in a cricket box soon though)If anyone disagrees with this or can explain it more clearly then please do grin ------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
i learned the five beat in the same way....on one side first, the trick for me was to pull my right hand over to the other side with my left when they are wrapped (i learned it on the right first) so when you have your hands wrapped for the extra swing just let your right hand lay on your left and pull it over... dont know if this will help you with your problem but good luck-Keith

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Woo hoo! 4 beats on my RHS!

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I'm a poi teacher of dubious quality, but it once worked when I told somebody: "Instead of the right hand poi moving to the left first, the left moves across first instead. And vice versa. And you have to move them across to the other side closer together as your hands are twisted. Now go away and practice, lots."When I saw them a week later they'd got it! It works for all extra beat moves like corkscrew, windmill and weave.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I really couldn't master it until I was given one bit of advice and then nailed it first time!After your 5 beats, when your arms are crossed, really, and I mean REALLY use you shoulder to push the weave to the other side. You can see this in the HOP video and if you exaggerate this it works wonders.After a while make it less profound. Oh and in terms of style, it looks better if you do it faster, other-wise the poi tend to catch each other up I found.Hope this helps...------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Yeah I can manage 5-beat RHS, 5-beat LHS and then back into normal weave now so I just need to get the L to R transition sorted now grin

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I have it on good authority wink (and know it by practice too) that 4-beat weave is really just 5 beat weave on one side then 3 beat on the other ((5+3)/2 = 4 after all)I learnt the 5-beat by getting it on my right first, then my left but I had heaps of trouble doing it on both sides after each other. It feels like too many twists, but isn't!I reckon the best way to explain it is to do a 3 beat weave but let em go round one extra time whip em across and unwind. This way I can also unsuccessfully do a 7 beat weave! I guess whether you let your arms twist around each other, or just the poi is up to you, but any more than 5 beats without letting the cords twist and you are looking at tri-segmented arms (now that would be cool!).

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
grin grin grin grinHe he he just managed to crack the 5-beat weave smile(Also found out that the maximum number of smilies in one post is 8 frown ) . o O (getting close already)anyway I am off to weave lots grin------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)[This message has been edited by Mark P (edited 14 November 2001).]

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Hehe, after watching myself in a mirror doing the 4beat weave on my rhs, I realized that when I go to the other side of my body, and unwind, it adds another beat to it... there for... 4 BEAT WEAVE ON BOTH SIDES! *dances*Thanks for the help everyone!