Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > LEARNING POI, NEED ANY AVAILABLE ADVICE

Login/Join to Participate

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
HEY EVERYBODY, IM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS STUFF IVE BEEN GOIN TO RAVES AND SUCH FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS, IVE SEEN A FEW PEOPLE DOING THIS AND ALWAYS WANTED TO LEARN SNOW I AM. I CAN DO THE WEAVE AND CROSSOVER, SPIN IN TIME, SPLIT TIME, WELL YOU KNOW...I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT ADVICE SOME OF YOU VETERANS HAD IF ANY FOR A BEGINNER LIKE ME...ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!BTW THE BTB EAVE IS REALLY CONFUSING ME...PLEASE HELP!!!XTREMRAVR~~~~~~~~P.L.U.R.R.

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
just so ya know capital letters are hard to read...............id go to the video lessons on this site if i were you, there are some good moves there, when youve got them down pat you'll have probably come up with a few new ones as well!

337 posts

Posted:
my bad jonathan, didnt know it was harcder to read caps, i have been practicing some of the moves on the site that they have on hr a matter of fact thats how i learned the weave. one more thing, what is a good practice poi? right now im using glowstix with bubble wrap, oh yeah and what makes a good string for swinging im using a nylon string right now and it seems to wearout rather quick..what is a good string to use?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
The majority of the people i've met spinning like to use ball chain. The weight is just right and the whole chain acts as a swivel for smooooooooth spinning smileFor practice poi, attach some key rings to some tennis balls. They don't hurt too much when they smack you------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
there are some pretty cool plaits that you could learn that make a difference to how the poi swing about, try learn a 4 plait, one that makes a cord rather than a spiral, then you can have tapered strings.....phunky's right about the tennis balls, use something that wont hurt, you'll definately learn faster!!!!if ya want the budget way of attaching string to tennis balls, tie a knot in the end of your plait, punch a small hole in the ball and ram your knot through...... easy, it works tho........

337 posts

Posted:
alright ya lost me now jonathan...what are plaits?...is that a string?...sorry sound stupid..but like i said im pretty new to this stuff...btw i did the windmill yesterday...that shyt was pretty tight...but alot easier than i thought it would be..p.l.u.r.r.ryan

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Plaits are braids. smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
plaits are like what ladies and gentleman do to their long hair occaisionallyit basically a way of weaving several stands of string or whatever together to make a rope with specific qualities round, flat or whatever!ummmmm dont really know what else to say about plaiting or where you can learn them from..... but they arent really necessary at all, i just like them!!

337 posts

Posted:
kool...thanx...ill see what i can do..im not very goodat braiding as far as i know..never tried..o well..thnx..xtremravrryanp.l.u.r.r.

BongoCIHmember
16 posts

Posted:
I've found that if you put the nylon through the ball and anchor it on the chain it'll take quite a bit of punishment. I've had my practice poi for almost a year now and they've held up quite well. I use about 1cm wide chain (pretty light weight) and keyrings. The rings leave ruts in your fingers after a while, so you can use nylon straps or get callouses like I have smileAs with learning new moves, see if you can find a group of people in your area. I've discovered that most spinners/twirlers are most helpful and will be only too happy to help you out. Keep practicing, even when you think it sucks and that your bruises will never heal, keep going. You'll find that you discover a new move right about then...... smile

337 posts

Posted:
thanx bongo yea my head hurts along with my fae from trying to do some reverse butterfly moves this weekend, figure out that if ya spin forw. hits shins and ****, if spinning bkwrd. hits face and top of head, ouch...p.l.u.r.r.