Paraffinmember
10 posts

Posted:
Well...this is going to be my first time with lit poi ever. Do you have any suggestions? Should I cover my face? Wear a hat? Not do any specific moves? I'd really appriciate help that yoooooo can give.

burn burn burn burn burn burn burnburn burn

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
When i spin fire i like to wear synthetic materials like nylon and polyester. I also dunk my poi's in gasolene to get the extra umph out of my flame. Make sure you gel your hair up good to, you gotta look good spinning fire.

err, just kidding. Disregard everything i just said lol

Make sure you stay calm. You'll only mess up when your afraid. Just go out and do your thing and have fun. Wearing a hat is a good idea too. Though i still singed the top of my hair even when i was wearing a hat once... odd.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
whew...phunky, I thought your advice was for real for a sec. I have habit of being really lazy and skimming through posts and getting entirely the wrong message from them. Let's hope paraffin has more than the 1.5 sec attention span that I do, 'cause if not someone had better call the fire department.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Paraffin,

I won't insult your intelligence with a fire safety lecture, so here are the other points:

*You should not be surprised if it is not exactly the best technical spin you've ever done. The pois look a lot bigger on fire than unlit. They make noise. You can feel the heat. In other words, they're pretty scary your first time.

*After lighting them, swing them back and forth gently to keep the flame low until you are at your starting point.

*Just go easy, do basic moves, don't try anything fancy, don't do a lot of transitions, and just get used to the idea of having flaming poi swinging around. The fancy stuff, like all things, comes with patience and time. It's not a race.

Best of luck, have fun, and WELCOME TO FIRE!

Peace.

[ 14 May 2002, 09:30: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fairy Ladymember
63 posts

Posted:
I think the best thing i did my first time was lit up a few times durring the day. I could get use to the sound they make without going "wow look at the pretty lights" (by the way this was 15 days ago and i have now lit uncountable times and gone through gallons of fuel) I felt more realxed then when i lit up at night and so in turn i was able to do a little more. just take your time and only do what you feel really comfortable with and you should have no problem. I also always wear a bandana due to hair to my butt which i do not want to loose. but if you like the bald look go for it, it looks good on some. Just a warning that playing with fire is VERY addictive!

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!
Molly

PyroMikemember
6 posts

Posted:
My best advice is that you shouldn't try anything you're not totally comfortable with, that you hit yourself with sometimes. The butterfly is sometimes good to stay away from, because of its somewhat unpredictable nature at times, especially while you're under the pressure of doing it with fire. Your *very* first time, just start spinning forwards, get a feel for it...then you can go into the weave or whatever and go from there.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I promise this post will have minimum star wars content.

to condition yourself with your fire poi, familiarise yourself with the added weight buy making bright cutey fluffy covers for the filthy black cotton-kevlar bits for day practice. add purty 50cm tails if ya can deal with the added weights (any longer and performing the butterfly will whiplash yer eyes, blinding you and ultimately leading you into a life of crime and drug addicton, tsk tsk).
obviously, you needn't re-adjust yourself every time if your practice poi and fire poi set are of similar length & weight, although some hardcore twilers practice with even heavier weights so that their lighter fire poi will spin faster, with more control, and longer lasting mint flavour (now in economy packs of 13!)
and remember, conditioning means shit without shampoo.

*cough*Droidekas*cough*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

moonwatchermember
14 posts

Posted:
Wow, hope your first fire experience went well. I will always remember mine, a while ago now. The heat, that sense of excitment and fear and most of all THE NOISE!!
Wish I could go through something so exciting again, nowadays it feels quite commonplace, despite still being the ultimate sensory experience (feel of heat, sound of fire, bright lights and strong smells.)
You must add a reply to let us know how you went and what you thought of the addition of fire.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
one thing only... if you bring the fire anywhere near your face, don't inhale! burnt nose hairs are the gift that keeps on giving!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
teeheee i ordered my veddy first set of fire poi *drools* one week to wait a few days to get used to them......
but what to wear what to wear one doesn't lose ones virginity every day....
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.