PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
Before you start moaning I've search and the threads for help and there isn't much there.

I've got the basics ie. the corkscrew, windmill and various other turns n weave ish type things. but what else is there ??

I just need insperation, not step by step guides but I've hit a brick wall in my creativity.

Thanx for the help if you can.

Spike

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
throws?

i wonder if you can wrap with meteors?

Lightwistermember
20 posts

Posted:
this may sound stupid.. but what the hell is a meteor...i've saw pics of them but they dont look like much. Do they set on fire, do they glow....whats the purpose of them.

emmanuelle369member
13 posts

Posted:
hmm..... not sure if i can help you with your creativity......but i would like to know if you have any tips reguarding how to start twirling with meteors.....have posted a msg on the help board but theres not a hell of alot of people who know about meteors.....have searched far and wide here (aus) for any information but people are too scared of them to try them.....i want to start with them but dont seem to know how.feeling very isolated at the moment here in south east queenland........

emma

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
here's what i found.

The Meteor Book is for sale in the shop.. looks like it would be a good source.

there's a thread with a lot of good info & links here

and malcom provided a couple good links here

i'd still like to see some meteor videos...

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
hey I had the demolision crew in this weekend to knock down that wall seperating me from my creativity, Yeah

REx: got a good throw goin from a backwards spin and wraps are possible I use them to add extra beats into all the weavish moves and I've almost got a singlr legwrap to get to a BF

The purpose of meteors is to cause the twirler to be in as much pain as possible hope that helps
I've only had my meteors for a week so I havn't thought about how I'm really doin the moves when I do I'll post them so,as for where to start off from ,Do what I did and just flail your arms about and dodge the hard objects aiming for your head.

Havin great fun with these
Keep smilin'

Spike

[ 15 July 2002, 21:00: Message edited by: Spike33 ]

ask yourself this??.......... When was the last time you dug a hole you could be proud of???
answers on a post card

emmanuelle369member
13 posts

Posted:
thanks for your info......got together with one of my friends and gave the flailing arm method a go....after causing as much pian to myself as i could handle i was making some progress.....will try again tomorrow....

emma

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
There are some good meteor threads in the other toys section, and as suggested, the Meteor book will get you started.

I made a monkey fit about a month ago. First I started doing poi moves, then once I got the 3-beat weave going I found that I could take one hand away, and go into single staff fig 8's.

From there, it's basically swing the thing around, and enjoy

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

emmanuelle369member
13 posts

Posted:
have read threads and have gained some really useful information
will start tomorrow with a more refined method than the flailing hands thing i tried today though im sure that the refined method will ultimatly end up as flialing hands....oh well should be fun either way....

emma

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
to the person who asked how to start twirling them, tie two longish poi together, and wa la, you have a meteor, mark the center point, and grasp the string/chain about 10 inches from this on each side, now just start spinning like theyre poi, but connected in the middle, and then once you get a feel for the, and you ave some staff background, you can let go with hand, slide the other to the middle, and the momentum should keep the ends spread out, and you can then treat it like a very delicate staff...

i guess thats kinda general, but i hope it helps...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

emmanuelle369member
13 posts

Posted:
thank you wiffle......may i call you wiffle ...or do you prefer squeak? anyway thanks for the info.....ill go and try that now.... i had a fair idea of what meteors were and have been fortunate enough to see them at folk festivals and the like but was not sure how to go about approaching them without causeing myself serious injury....you guide is not to general as i needed someone to go "you do this....."...off to try your sugested moves......

emma

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
glad i could help

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
My recommendation for meteors is to try with a set of poi first to get the hand motions down. You should be able to do with both hands, low & high waves, corkscrews, windmills, and weaves. I havent yet accomplished the meteor Thread the Needle, but anything is possible with enough practice. (: Meteors take a lot of practice, but it's not as bad as most people think. Double-fire poi is much fun had for all.. (=

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

emmanuelle369member
13 posts

Posted:
I have solved my problem!!!!1 this morning wes spent in the workshop and i have now made my very own meteores to practice with.....i have also made somekind of other thing that im not sure what its called but it uses the same concept of meteors.....i got a metre long broomstick and drilled holes in either end and stuck some poi that id made on either end. its relitivly easy to twirl and once i played with that for awhile i could do it!!!!so yay for me and once again thank you all for your help...

emma

PeDeymember
189 posts

Posted:
I can do most of my poi moves on my meteors,what I've been working at, is alot of one handed stuff I mean ALOT of one handed stuff trying to use it more like a staff. I got a bodt wrap last night which is nice, and
REX: cheers for the throw idea that helped I've got a few simple ones sorted , Thanx man

Spike

answers on a post card

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
Spike man cannot wait till cornwall, Meteor Partner, how cool.

I use karibinas all over my poi (alright 2 per poi) this lets me detach my handles and add an extra bit of cord.

BOOM we have a meteor.

and bugbear me if it isn't WAY COOL, granted my cords are too short for my favorite arm wrap move but it's a frickin' staff people, aah.

I've got a few basic moves, I can swap from poi style to floppy not that good staff style, my staff practise only adds up to about an hour so I expect that.

anyway I've looked around the various threads and there doesn't seem to be that much on Meteors so I thought I bring this to the forefront of this area,

actually I'm gonna go into Other Toys and start a new thread, so please any thoughts on Meteor, from beginner to expert, performed or conjected (is that right?) throw them in there.

Meteor Rules!

[ 19 July 2002, 22:53: Message edited by: sub ]

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*