Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever tried doing poi with two yo yo's? You can do arround the world with a yo yo, why not do a weave? haha if anyone has 2 yo yos handy please give it a shot and possibly take video, that could be cool rolleyes

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
i think people do stupidly clever (confused) stuff along these lines. ive heard talk about it anyway smile

ive recently started pretending my right poi is a yo yo aswell, thats fun to smile

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
There has been an amazing video posted by ShawnF . . .

[Old link]

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Tis called AA Yo-Yo

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hah! I totally missed this when it was posted...

Doing poi moves with two yo-yos that are spinning is pretty old. It would have had to have happened some time after yo-yos moved to the US, since that was when "sleeping" was introduced. Looping (where the yo-yo constantly unwinds and winds in an oval in front of you) was around long before that, but it is arguable how "poi-ish" that is on its own.

Dale Oliver had a trick called "Eye of the Tornado" which consisted of three around the worlds, the second of which had you crossing your arms so they traveled on opposite sides. Maybe some people do turns before that, but I'd say EotT is probably the real start of poi type moves. Back then you were obviously limited by the spin time of wooden axles, which was pretty limited.

In the late '90s when Team High Performance out of Hawaii took the world by storm was when things started to heat up. They were using Raiders, which had ball-bearings, letting you have many more around the world revolutions. That started with weaves, turns, various yo-yos crossing each other, and stuff like jumping over them (Texas Cowboy).

Wraps also got incorporated (we use the European style naming convention mostly because wraps where the yo-yo hits your body would kill off all the spin). Yo-yos tended to have fairly long strings (looping is all in one direction, so if you wanted a buzzsaw type effect, you'd usually just loop instead), so lots of arm and neck wraps and elebow burner and such.

People also combined sleelping and looping with tricks such as Sword & Shield. That had a loop in front of you and around the worlds in the wall plane in front of you. Because of how yo-yos retract in loops, you could do multiple rapid loops in the space it took for one around the world to go by, which gave a neat effect named after like a roman soldier who has a large circular shield and a little sword poking out quick.

Now there is the present day where all kinds of wraps and traces and hyperloop buzzsaws are mixed in, as in that video that I'd posted. Of course it has already advancing past what is that video..heh. Check out some of the really bizzare hyperlopo buzzsaw stuff that is starting to happen:
https://yoyomovie.dip.jp/2005JN/2005JN-2a6-jun_taniguchi.mpg

Oddly enough, air wraps seem to be absent, despite The Venkman being quite old, with that illustration I posted recently. I'll have to bring up to ask why people aren't doing that in AA currently...

Now that all of that is cleared up, I myself am curious about the feasibility of the "yoyoball" for poi. For those that don't know, this toy is sort of like a spherical tape measure. A ball wth a cord that can be pulled out and returns by itself via some sort of spring mechanism inside.

I think it has some interesting possibilities in that as long as you keep your speed up, any normal poi moves should be possible, as well as opening the door for stuff where you want it to retract.

Shawn

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
yeah i think i was dumb when i posted this, i musta been real tired or something, its obvious it has been done, and ive seen alot of vids of it now, i think i was being noobish towards poi at that time

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Well, don't worry about it. Imagine if it hadn't been done already.. it could have started something big! smile Plus, it gave me an excuse to go into yo-yo history, which can only be good. smile

Cheers,
Shawn