ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
The thread I looked at don't help much. So here ya go.

I have been doing poi for a wee while now and have developed to an intermeddiate stage(by Michals poi book) but I was teaching a friend, a complete beginner to do poi and when I saw him tonight he did the 3 beat forwards weave and his planes with just stunning. Total vertical circles on each side.weavesmiley like this<<<<<
I noticed at that, that mine are very poor, I must be really bad at planes and they need work! When I do this weave at the top of the circle it goes inwards towards the head and at the bottom outwards from my legs. Is this a common problem?
I feel I should rectify this now as I see it seriously hindering me in the future.
Any tips on how to get better at plane such as exercise or ANYTHING please tell me.

Chimney

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
It's mainly to do with how you hold the poi and the angle your wrist is it, try and focus more on moving your wrist to the ebat of the poi and it should even out, alternatively go backto the planes section of the book and follow that again, this time stand against a wall cloesly so the poi are right next to it, everytime you touch the wall put some money in a jar tongue

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
Ok. Money in a jar. If only I had money. I'll do it though.

dawn2duskBRONZE Member
34 posts

Posted:
Good idea that of money biggrin
I "discovered" planes just some months ago and I had to take my pois, take all the moves I learnt, and re-learn them with planes. It seems difficult, but it' s only to work on your ideas and your "way-to-see"... The good thing I had, is that I had worked on the parallelysm of pois while moving... When you learn the very very first move (how to swing them, first pages of the guide of HoP) you have to follow the advice on how to move your wrists to make circles parallel. With this parallelysm, all your moves will be more clean and smooth. Then, do the money-technique :P !!! But before, try to understand the theory of planes... that can seem difficult if explained, but it' s very simple at all!

***Feelings are anarchist - I feel - I am an anarchist***

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
try doing a weave then a hand wrap. if your planes are not vertical they will wrap on top of each rather than around and look crap when you unwrap.

If they are vertial they with unwrap and look nice smile

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
Geeza, I've tried that and I can get a pretty nice wrap but still there are moves and moves I am starting to notice I should have learnt with emphasis on planes. My onehanded butterfly for example, one poi starts moving in towards me and this is bad when doing it over the head.
Anyhow, I have a wall outside my house and I'm going to set my videocamera up to see how I do.

Chimney

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
try doing the split time butterfly whilst looking in a mirror and move your hands to the right on the down beat so the poi go behind you, in the mirror it will look nice. then try and get it so you can go forward and backwards, im trying this at the moment and it slowly getting better

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
Alright then, I'll give a good go then. I'm filling every second I've got available during work breaks to do poi. So nice. I need the planes! they are developing though.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
i might go to the park in a few of my breaks, ive got my poi with me, but would look slightly stupid swinging them in my office. ha ha

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
I clean toilets and such in a mental hospital, I can do what I ant and noone blinks an eyelid. The porter comes in all the time sniging, his lalalalalalalalalalalalalala from that Ordinary Boys song cracked me up. HAHa.

So poi moves,,,