Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Explaining turning transitions

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So here's the situation.
For some odd reason this summer I have been asked so many times, either in the middle of my spin or just after how I turned with that move or other.

I have no clue how to explaining. I turn. That's it. No big secret, no nips, tucks, twists, stalls, pauses, wraps or other devices. I just turn.

I've described, and shown, the proximity (when you turn your poi are goingin the same direction, only your body changed). This was enough to help a couple people, but I after all these years, including teaching, I still can't figure out how to explain to people to just turn.

Suggestions?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
You also need to tell them that as you turn you are transitioning from a foward move to a reverse move or vice versas.

Additionaly the first beat of the second move is usualy the last beat of the first move. They don't follow each other as such because they are the same movement and thus should be done on the same beat.
e.g. with a 3bt weave turn on beat 3 which doubles as beat 1 of the reverse 3bt weave.

Hope that helps with your tutoring troubles.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
on the dvd 'the scales of poi' its explained nicley on the part 'shortening the poi' the commentary says something about following the zenith -no idea how to spell it but it sounds like (zee-nith) of the poi.

Its slowed right down so you can see how to turn

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Usually to describe turn I use:

a) Proximity (foreward | backward)

b) Upswing | downswing (When turning from
foreward both Poi do downswing 'n vice versa.)

c) Turning direction (left | right)

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST