Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Fingers.......a little less skin.....

Login/Join to Participate

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
I am new to Poi and have had no instruction at all, apart from what I read on the leaflet which came with my Poi. I have only been practicing for about an hour over the last few days but have managed to wear away two nice little circles on both 3rd fingers. I'm not really sure how I SHOULD be holding my Poi, but I find that either way (putting both fingers into the loop or one finger into each loop) still hurts!

Anyone have any ideas?

Fankoooo!

Nia

x

Red Raven Wellbeing Centre
9 Clive Street, Caerphilly. CF83 1GE
07757 057 157

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Best thing to do is to hold the string between your thumb and first finger, much like you would hold a key.

smile

You get much more control that way!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Or hold socks.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Aaaah memories- the first set of poi i had took all the skin from all my knuckles on all fingers- as ai wore out one set I'd hold them another way and so on until I was out of digits biggrin

Use socks, they'll work so much better for you smile

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys.

Where exactly does old socks come in to it???? Can you explain what exactly you think I should be doing with them?!!?....as opposed to taping them to me head so that my poi bounce off easier.....

biggrin

Thank!!

Nia

07757 057 157

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Goto the nearest market and buy a pair of stripey socks. Should be £1.50 max and there are many, many different colours availalble.

Then get 2 old juggling balls (NOT tennis balls) and put them in the ends of the socks.

Thats it smile
Spin them instead of tails.

wave

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
nods

Socks are the ducks nuts. If they are too long you hold the knot and wrap around your hand. If you go through the vids on here lots of ppl use them. Hop even sell shiny ones or you can make your own cone style poi. Use socks and when you get cold you can wear them wink

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Gnor.. you mean mutts nuts wink

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
or... if you absolutely cannot part with your tails *i couldnt when i started learning - for some strange reason everything worked better with my tails (dreamy look)* then you can buy some very loverly soft leather finger loops. it worked for me smile another thing, it doesnt really matter how you hold your poi, i did it different to the rest of my lot smile and i can spin just as well as the rest of them, so its whatever is most comfy smile

if i could be a busy busy bee...

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
one could wear biking gloves

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Or you can just bite the bullet and deal with it for a year... Then your hands will be nice and calloused like mine and ya wont have to worry about it anymore smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Gnor.. you mean mutts nuts wink

We have "Sticks out like dogs balls" for the obviousnessness of somethings....

Ducks nuts is like hens teeth wink

Is it the Truth?

redravenstranger
24 posts

Posted:
Ok....so maybe some gaffer tape on my fingers will do the trick then.....

I'll just stuck it and see; see what happens!!

biggrin

ta much

07757 057 157

ImberGOLD Member
3 posts

Posted:
I second the biking gloves idea. I use an old pair of gloves whenever I plan on spinning for a while and it all works out quite comfortabley. It also makes you look like you're real serious.. or about to go biking.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
wohoo. i made a good suggestion bounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

yukahallackSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Which brand of poi did you buy, redraven, to leave marks on your fingers? My first ones were Cobra IIs... they have nylon handles I think, and I had no problem with them.

PompBerrynewbie
18 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UnderControlOrFailure

Best thing to do is to hold the string between your thumb and first finger, much like you would hold a key.

smile

You get much more control that way!

oo yay, I hold mine like that too... but each of my friends holds theirs in different ways =/

and mine never hurt my fingers o_o
only my arms ubblol

(btw, UnderControlOrFailure, is it just me or do you participate in nearly every thread? ubblol)

fireshamanMember
2 posts

Posted:
Duct tape. Gloves. medical tape. Just accept your poi-blisters.... I have such thick calluses on my two index fingers that I sometimes get comments on them. Only took 7 years to build them.....
M<

Mitchell The Fire Shaman

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
Mt poi blister 5-step program:

1) Get blister
2) Put plaster over blister
3) Get another blister
4) Put new plaster over new blister
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until run out of energy/plasters

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fireshaman

Duct tape. Gloves. medical tape. Just accept your poi-blisters....

Actually, I find that poi blisters are completely unnecessary. The SECOND you start to feel any rubbing or chaffing that you feel might become a problem, change something. Switch your grip, use socks, redesign your handles, switch fingers, do something.

I don't think blisters, scraped skin, calluses, or any other hand related change or injury is necessary if you have decent handles and are holding them in a way that your hands can deal with.

If you're going to injur yourself, at least make it a burn. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I've never had chafing problems until this weekend when I was spinning 8 solid hours a day every day, and that still didn't result in blisters. Just a bit of discomfort. I'd advise putting a non-abrasive and cushy fabric on the inside of your handles such as fleece or synthetic felt. Or else just switch handles, poi, or how you grip them as has already been suggested.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
One night I did 5 burns with 3.5" monkey fists (the ones that burn for bloody ages). I got really bad blisters despite the nice leather finger loops, and since then I always keep some talc in my fire spinning bag. I just use socks for practice though.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.