Forums > Help! > 1/16 or 1/8 Kevlar. What's better?

Login/Join to Participate

DudeGuy16stranger
1 post

Posted:
So I'm about to purchase some Kevlar for my staff and poi.

I have two options:
1/16" thickness
1/8" thickness

I know that in terms of cost, 1/8 is slightly cheaper because you only need half the amount.
But are there any distinct differences in terms of quality between the two.
Any differences between heat of the burn, size of the burn, amount of fuel it can wick, lifespan, etc?

Thanks for the help!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
couldn´t think of great differences in terms of quality between the two... it´s the same base material: Kevlar... shrug but am not sure.

Hypothetically you would want more wrappings as the Kevlar gets damaged on a staff from drops and on poi from smoldering... more wraps would give you more options in terms of unmounting and wrapping the Kev the other way round (inside out)...

my twocents

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Thicker Kevlar is more durable. Makes it a little heavier, so that I'm sure would mean more material squished in there so longer burn time. I don't think the weight or burn time difference is very significant at all, but it is more durable. Also the thinner wick from my experience is cheaper because it's less than half the price for half as thin wick.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
sorry I was not thinking in terms of 2ft of 1/16 vs. 2ft of 1/8 - you´re right SoD, this would make a difference in weight and storage capacity.

Also in terms of durability (drop-rate), thicker material will last longer...

but your last sentence has(had) a typo wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink