AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi Gang,yes its me again, with one of my silly questions!I'm wondering who has moves which take Poi between their legs?For your answers I'm gonna give up all the moves I know that do that :)1) Chasing the Moon ;)While standing with your legs slightly bent and your feet about 2 shoulder widths apart have your poi swinging and your upper body parallel.On the downstroke bring your backside hand to the front (so it is together with the front hand and the poi are swinging almost as one).Swing the poi together between the legs around behind the back and on the downstroke (between you legs) bring them back out together.On the upstroke as they emerge from between you legs, split your back and front, throw in a high turn just for kicks, and return to your starting 3-way parallel postion.(you can do it with alternating too...but I dont like the effect as much)2) Poisonous ButterflyWhile doing Butterfly infront at waist level (resting stance) open a space between your legs of about 2 shoulder widths. move the poi down til at the bottom of the stroke the poi are almost touching the ground. Then when you are ready, put the bottom of the stroke as close to between your legs as possible. As the poi are coming up behind your butt, reach further down between your legs (funnily enough I find the perfect distance to reach through is basically so your hands are covering your private parts ;) so the Poi get a bit more slack to play with behind your back. The Poi should do a whole circle while behind you.As they come towards the bottom of their stroke, straighten your back and pull them back through your legs.finish in your butterfly front resting stance.(check your pink bits are ok)3 and more)All the wraps.Try single, double, alternating and crossed leg wraps and stalls, entry from front of body swing or BHTB. Try lower and upper legs. try alternating.Man the moves are rolling tonight :)I've gotten these two nailed, leg wraps a gogo (now to try them all with fire!) and I just got 3-beat forward action (poi going back) BHTB (although it's still shakey! - bloody weak arms). I also improved the action in my high turn low turn spin...my gf also taught me a cool way to do wraps but without changing the direction (who would have thought about moving your limb through 90 degrees while wrapped, and then unwrapping onto your new swing plane? my girl - thats who :).Anyhow - before I fill the server full of blab, I'll shut up.I'm looing forward to your responses ppl![Josh] [This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 18 January 2001).]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Or you can take your Number two move and keep it there, roll forward out of it and end up flat on your back doing a butterfly over your body.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Pele,do you go to Burning Man by any chance?I've heard a report of someone doing that move there. I can roll, but with the length of my Poi its hard enough to keep the Poi moving without bashing my back and legs as they go through and come back smile)That may be a trick I might have to work on, perhaps after I nail all the other butterfly variations I know smileThanks for your input.[Josh]

harpisheadBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
my 2 between the legs moves:
wheel normally then taking it through the legs to behind you then pulling it back through my propper silly move

between the legs weave

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
hmm... between the legs... i do a fair bit of this... but you can walk backwards and forwards from butterfly ether way and from spinning in same direction.... combine walking backwards and forwards and you get a really silly on the spot jig.... double under the leg stuff is also totally possible from any spinning postion and in split time... entrys from full waist wraps (both butterfly and same direction spinning) basically to get the 'walks' reverse butterfly is the easyest to lern in i find but start with one poi... spin in reverse butterfly direction in the wall plane.... which ever hand the poi is in stand so that leg is slightly in frount of the other now enter under the leg from behind (hand goes to yor butt) and step backwards..... now learn the other hand put together so with every swing they go under your leg and you will be walking backwards.... then play with all the possibilities this opens (walk forwards... jigs... now from forwards butterfly!... now same direction spinning!) hmmm... legish

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
"bump" interesting reading biggrin

Are you up for it?
wink;)

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
try half wraps. which is where you would wrap a poi from your left leg to your right leg without removing the chain from between them. I'll explain further. starting with only the right poi. horizontally bounce it from the outsides of your right leg to your left leg and back with it. now, after bouncing it off the outside your left leg, instead of bringing it to the outside of your right leg, move the right leg out of the way and bounce it off the inside of the left leg. put the right leg back in place at a smaller distance than shoulder width. and bounce it off the inside of the right leg. then move the left leg out of the way and bring it around to the outside of the right leg. there are 100,001 combinations using half wraps. and if you swing at split time you can do mixtures of half wraps with both right and left hands and create some crazy patterns all around your legs.
good luck, this concoction of a maneuver is a pain to learn, but once you got it, you'll love it.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
try doing stalls if you can pull them off properly they look really good. espicaly the doing a double stall from in front and behind so they are parallel in between your legs then pulling out and your spinning in alterative fashion

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
i made a vid of some of the under the leg stuff i do a while ago... bit sloppy in parts but it makes that post i made before more easy to understand... https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i like that butterfly-ish with the leg b/n the poi

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed