KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
would it be possible to break a weave up so you had one beat btb, one on the side, and one overhead?
has anyone ever done it?
does it look good?
I'm asking cause i'm still working on breaking up side/overhead stuff and polishing turns with btb stuff, so i'm not ready to try this. but it seems like it could be fun. so i'm wondering.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey Kyrian,

Not sure if this is what you mean, but lately i've been working on breaking up my moves and using different planes...not sure if this is what you mean. One I like and have had a good responce from is doing the 3 beat weave (can also be done with 5) and putting your third beat over your head...so...with the right hand you'd do: one beat on the left, one on the right, one over the head....does that make sense??? If i ever make it to one of the TO nights i can show you!!! Sorry, no sleep makes the brain hurt!

Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
what you just described is what i'm working on now......

i keep hitting myself in teh head with my left hand tho.

what i was asking about is a little different... but similar....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

PyroMikemember
6 posts

Posted:
I've been trying a more simple variation of this type of move...what I do is I start out doing the chase, then I start to turn to my left into the circle weave, before stopping, bringing both poi over my head and then back to regular spinning.

I keep hitting myself, but I think that if I can get it to be smooth it will look really cool!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
can someone tell me if what he's doing is a fountain like thing?

much love

-Kyrian-

who is very tired and needs to study for a test

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Ok we're overlooking something very important here:
you can't mix coffee and tea.
more importantly, you guys are talkin' aboot a 'modified' weave. to be sure, a weave is defined by being a delicate dance of two poi around each other in an assymetrical 3 beat pattern. variations with planes aside, when you modify the beat formulae, you have another move on your hands. not the weave.

What i image youse tryin to do is a

weave
-->transition-->
spin
-->transition-->
weave

combinations (varying in plane and poi position) that appear to be the cousin to the weave.

As with all my advice, i encourage that you take from it only what you can understand. I'm startin to feel like a sarlacc with bad gas. it's 3:30 in the afternoon right now, and 15 hours ago I stayed up to watch some clones attack, so forgive my deliruim- ..zzzZZZZZZZZZZZ

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Good explanation Bender. I remember when i thought i was coming up with new weave variations. The bigger picture is, when you throw one of you're hands behind your head, it's one half of a windmill and back to a weave. If you throw it behind you, it's one half of a btb weave back to a regular weave. All it really is are turns with out moving your body.

6,978 posts

Posted:
I must also be noted, delicate explanations aside, that words dun mean shit when people are havin' fun slightly modifying their weave to other, (dare i say) phunkier shit. All I was doing above was emphasising on the categorisation which is counter to the organic nature of improvisational practice.

I guess wot I'm tryin to say is ya best learn by finding your flow, not following someone else's textual footsteps.

"With the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to twirl?"
"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

oh soo much starwars, soo much starwars
/shakes

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
so, it's just weird turning stuff w/o actually really doing moves in between or???

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

6,978 posts

Posted:
short answer:yes!

it must be noted, that a significant amount of twirling is the transitions, ie the weird turning stuff. But sometimes it looks so tricky and sweet that a smooth combination of simple move + simple transition + simple move looks like a sweet new move.
I can smell my nose.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ok to put it even simpler, when doing a forward weave, if you throw only ONE hand over your head or behind you, what you're doing is turning it reverse. Leave it there for a couple of beats and realize what your hands are doing. You're realize it's just reverse spinning with your body oriented a weird way.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
cool

so would my idea look good?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I don't see why not. When you go from weave to reverse weave or weave to windmill it looks good also. Essentially the same but not.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Is this kind of what you are talking about?

I still call it the "Flower" because the name suits it well. And Phunky, (before it get's started) no, it isn't a shoot the moon turned 90 degrees. It is a figure eight movement split between front and back. And it's a perfect example of blending two moves into a new one.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
glowshow- nope! but that's something else vern was showing me... i love this guy, he thinks up everything!!

anyhoo, i think i'll give it a try once i get the overhead beats smooth
thanks guys !

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

6,978 posts

Posted:
we like to call that one the 'skip rope'
go figure.

coupla weeks ago during a monday practice, ii worked on a variant of it that's now one of my showy moves: the same FWD spin + swap sides, though u start it by wrapping them once around ya hands to shorten them, and the swapping takes place between ya legs (legs in a fwd splits.) This week I've been cheating and doing a jumping fwd splits whilst doing it. the faster u spin, the less time it takes for the poi to swap sides n return, the lower the jump can be.

fear the flammable pants.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Guys, that's a split time shoot the moon. It's just that you align you're body differently, doesn't change the move.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Or rather turning a split-time shoot the moon by twisting your body instead of moving you're feet.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, a fun move for sure . I'm looking forward to trying with fire, just to see if it does look like flower.

For what it's worth, I would classify it as a parallel move; a split-time variation on the "shoot the moon/chase the sun" series.

Space, I'd call: one beat on the left, one on the right, one over the head, a fountain.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Ah! Good then! Thanx Stone, I sure hope so. I've been wanting to do the fountain for a while now, but I dont really get what it is from any of the explanations. So, I decided to put it on the back burner till I met someone who could just show it to me. Sweet.
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Space, I hope I haven't misled you. With the fountain, you also go from a forward to a reverse weave. Like most people, I just started doing a fwd weave to one side, and a reverse weave on the other side. Then after a while you start taking the poi up for a windmill above the head, and you have the fountain.

The HOP Fountain is a fwd weave, windmill, then a rev weave (repeated). I'm a bit of a goofy foot, so I go from a rev weave, up to a windmill above the head, then to the fwd weave. Eventually, you learn it both ways. Look, just contact me if you need help with this move

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Yar,
Alas, I am still terribly confused with this one. I suppose i'll just have to wait till Monday and hope someone in TO can show me. Monday isn't so far right????

It's 3:30 in the morning. Why aren't I in bed?

'Nite kids,
*Space*

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Space, I sure you're there. The fountain is just a natural progression of the 3-beat weave. First, you get the lower fountain, which is just going from fwd to rev weave (or vise versa). Then, when you are comfortable with that, you let the poi take you up, head high to finish the fountain, and down again.

If the problem's changing direction with the poi. Then, for a three-beat weave having two beats on the left, and one on the right. You can change direction from fwd to rev weave on the second beat (left hand side).

When the left hand is on top of the right and ready to cross to the right hand side, just let the right hand slip under (to the left), instead of over, for a rev weave. Then take the poi to the front, and over to the right for a fwd weave.

Or, just lean a bit to the left, when the poi are on your left, before you cross to the right, and chances are the poi will be in reverse. Go back to the left to make sure. Is it Monday already?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
guys all youre doing when you "modify" the weave is moving your hands farther apart basically, it makes it look like a weird new move, but its still the same thing, just bring your hands back together and voila, its a weave again, same thing can be done with butterflies, actually, a friend of mine once whipped apart his hands while doing an alternate bf side to side transfer and it freaked me out cause i couldnt figure out what he was doing, but in reality, all it was was a seperation of the hands. when you do it with the weave, same effect, one hands just on one side of the body when its normally on the other, its tricky shit, but actually fairly simple...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
easier said then done

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Whiffle Squeek:
guys all youre doing when you "modify" the weave is moving your hands farther apart basically, it makes it look like a weird new move, but its still the same thing, just bring your hands back together and voila, its a weave again, same thing can be done with butterflies, actually, a friend of mine once whipped apart his hands while doing an alternate bf side to side transfer and it freaked me out cause i couldnt figure out what he was doing, but in reality, all it was was a seperation of the hands. when you do it with the weave, same effect, one hands just on one side of the body when its normally on the other, its tricky shit, but actually fairly simple...
All the weave variations listed here have been pretty much forward weave - reverse spinning - forward weave. Just because you're body is aligned differently it doesn't look that simple.