Forums > Technical Discussion > Now.. is this fire toy possible?

Login/Join to Participate

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
When I was little I used to have a toy that was basically a hollow staff (3ft long) with two balls on the end, connected by a cord in the middle. It was a bungee cord.. so when you spun the staff fairly fast the balls would come out the end, and it had a little booklet showing all kinds of tricks you could do. but it was written in some foreign language I couldn't read (hell I was what.. 7?)anyway.. something similar maybe made with firepoi? and the extra chain stored inside the hollow staff.. and somewhat (I'm assuming a button catch or perhaps a hole in the staff with a stick through it?)eh.. :P just wondering.but I never really liked it much after the time I womped myself in the gonads >_

Once I cut my hand, but the wound was not part of me.
Now I'm a man, there's a wound at the heart of me.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It sounds reasonable to me. You could use cathedral wicks with eye bolts with a small enough head to fit inside a tube staff body. Have large washers on the top of the wick to prevent the kevlar from wearing away from contact with the staff body. Have three or four inches of chain connecting the wick to the bungee cord to diffuse some of the heat, 'cuz the heat would damage the strength and elasticity of the cord, if not setting it directly on fire.And there would have to be a bolt/stick/rivet of some sort in the center of the body as an attachment point.This might be a good idea for the folks who complain about their metal staff heating up. The faster you spin, the less your wicks have contact with the body, the faster the staff cools down (If it'll heat up at all with this design).Good idea Orin, I don't know if I'll get around to trying it, but a good idea none the less.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
well I see what you're saying wink *grin*I think I portrayed what I was saying as wrong though :P the lil toy thing I had .. the balls would stretch out about 1-2 ft from the ends of the staff and .. the lil picture book was showing all kinds of circles you could do with the balls on the end of the staff while spinning the staff. Again, after I rendered myself unable to walk (for like a day) from a crotch shot I never played with the thing again.But yea smile making the heads on your staff seperate a small bit from the staff would (from what I can ascertain) keep the staff reativley cool.-Orin

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Thats kinda like the idea I wanted to play around with.I wanted to make two flails (stick with a ball and chain on the end) =====~~~O *nice drawing eh? lol*anyways.. I wanted two of them to connect so that you would have a staff with a ball and chain on the end.------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
GLSponge,The wicks on my staff flail. Mostly because I prefer the cathedral wicks to anything else so I did some engineering and have them attached with a snap hook, and an S link into an eye bolt in the body of the staff. I've considerd lenthening them to two feet while shortening the body of my staff the same amount, but I hven't really gotten bored enough yet to want go get hit by my wicks that much... yet. wink It would basicly be a three section staff but the ends would be even more dangerous then a normal one. And take it from me, the three section staff is an evil, evil weapon to learn. I've been in martial arts for a long time, and I've learned a lot of diffirent weapons. I've never hurt myself so bad as with the three section. Just cuz you stopped one end, doesn't neccesarily mean that you stopped the other. shockedAnd Orin,So you're saying that the wick will only come out of one end of the staff at a time? That would have much more possibility then what I thought you were on about, that should be even easier to do because then you don't have to worry about the central attachment point. All you have to do is connect the wicks through the body of the staff. I might build one, could be promising.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 23 December 2001).]

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
Pup:Aye, that's what a lot of the tricks were, the ball would come out of one end, to a length of about maybe.. *thinks* a foot or so.. but.. heh I could never get it to work just right, but the little ppl in the book sure could. Isn't that always how it is?but under normal spinning, it would come out both ends, but not so long, just a lil bit (maybe cause I didn't get it going fast enough?)But the only reason I say a central attachment point is so that in the off chance one of the wicks flies off for whatever reason, the other won't as well.-Orin

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If you don't have a central attachment point, chances are that it will only come out of one end in a normal spin, not both. To get it to come out both ends at once your wicks would have to be EXACTLY the same weight, and you would have to be spinning at EXACTLY dead center of the balance point. This is because the wicks would be pulling against each other rather then one central point. I guess (reading back through the topic review) you said that you've actually got it to come out both ends, but I think it would be hard to do on a regular or practical basis. I think it may work better, or at least be more impressive, to play more with weird little spins you'd get off the design with no central attachment, rather then worrying about conventional staff movements. As as for the wicks flying out, having a central attachment point would greatly decrease the length that the wick would extend from the end of the staff, but as you should really inspect your equipment regularly before useing it, you should be able to catch any wear on the connections that would cause it to break long before it actully does. You'd just have to be a little more vigelant about it, considering that if the wicks do come off it will be with more force then normal, because of the bungee. (It's all fun and games till some one loses an eye... then it's just fun wink)The more I think about this idea the more I want to try it. It shouldn't be too expensive to build, and they have every thing you'd need at the hardware store, probobly under $15. I may try this after the holidays are over and I have some money again.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
well if you get it working post pics/instructions grinMebey a video? :P-Orin