wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
okay i did a search and found zero results for mineral turpentine, although i know i read about it here first. Anyways i thus pose the following questions:1. How well does it work for a good blue flame? (is there still orange etc etc?)2. How harsh are the fumes to breathe? (boric and denatured alcohol is pretty harsh)3. What kind of store besides online would sell it?thankswulff

wulff

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Used for paint thinner, dry cleaning, and removal of stains from carpets and apholstry Mineral Turpentine is concidered a White Petroleum Product(which means it will give off a more orange colored flame). It has a moderate Flashpoint of 35 degrees C. which is similar to Kero and Lamp Oil, however, it is concidered to be an explosive liquid when flame is directly introduced (meaning it doesn't have ignitable fumes but the liquid itself is extremely combustible). As far as toxicity...For Ingestion is moderate, higher than lamp oil. Dermal is ranked as slight, which means possible rash or irritation. Inhalation is ranked as moderate, meaning the fumes will possibly make you cough, eyes water a touch, mild little things which are only a touch worse than Kero or Lamp Oil which ranked as slight.The only places I saw listed for purchase available was online, and mostly coming from India. Most of those sites are prohibited from shipping to the US.There were many more technical terms on all 3 places I looked for information, one of which was a Federal Chemical Report that I barely understood half of (though my search resulted in about 6 sites).Therefore, from what I found, it ranks about like Kero or Lamp Oil in flash point, wick based combustibility. I wouldn't put a match out in it though. It ranked a touch more toxic than Lamp Oil and Kero across the boards (not just for inhalation), and required the same treatments.If you are looking for a blue flame I would like to point out that those fuels which burn hot enough to produce a blue flame do not burn bright enough for said flame to be seen from any real distance, sine the blue flames tend to be less opaque than orange flames. And, more importantly, these flames are quite tricky. When you spin they appear to die down, but the minute you stop they raise back up again, not really making for a good "show". But this is all depending on what you want it for.Thanks for the challenge, I found other info on other fuels in my search!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 28 January 2002).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FoxFiremember
90 posts

Posted:
Not to get too far off topic, but I called the consumer line for Lamplight Farms the other day to inquire about the flashpoint of their "Ultra Pure" lamp oil. The lady told me that the flash point was at 210F (98.9C). I finally found an MSDS sheet on it which shows it at 200F (93.3C).Just thought I'd share. smileI *think* I've seen mineral turpentine at our local Gibson's Discount Store. I've looked so many times in stores this past week I forget where I've seen what fuel/solvent tongue. You might try at paint stores (Sherman Williams comes to mind).[This message has been edited by FoxFire (edited 28 January 2002).]

Deuteronomy 31:6
John 15:9
Luke 6:22

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
93 deg. sounds closer to the mark for me... I have some old tech data sheets from work, and its listed on there as 92.8 degrees.if it had a flash point of 35, you wouldnt be able to put wicks out in it... you would also get some mental expansion problems (plus fire risks) leaving it outside in the summer (ok, I know our summers aren't exactly hot... smile )I can get mineral turpentine from the local hardware stores, but, like pele, i dont think it works too well... it is pretty good for using in flares/burners to light off tho'. because it burns much hotter than a match or lighter, they light up faster

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Just giving what was on the data reports people, one of which came from the Aus govn't, one from the US.MSDS sheets are available on all fuels online. When I locate the link I can put it up. But thanks for the info.In truth my Butane lighter or oil lamp actually work really well for lighting up.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
thanks for the responses. hmm i remember reading on a thread that it burned blue.. ahh well if it doesn't i don't see any prevailing reason (ecspecially after reading pele's post) to continue looking at it. Anyone find a good way nice blue flames yet? wulff

wulff

SilverEyesmember
45 posts

Posted:
Have you tried these folks? https://www.tri-esssciences.com/firespecialeffects.htmNot
the cheapest, but the colors are very nice. It burns at a cooler temp than regular fluid, and doesn't hold up quite as well on really fast spins, but slower spins and fans look really incredible!