TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Which is better, Cable or Chain pois? Also with cable pois can you do the disc move?

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I prefer chain. Cable is cool, but after awhile it gets warped.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Cable hurts when you wrap it. It feels good when you wrap it right, until you do about 5 or 6 wraps in a row on the same leg. Then you start getting scratches. Or just wear leather armguards (never tried it though).Then again, I've never tried chain =)

KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Hey TopHat,If you are interested in coming to an Adelaide Fire Twirling night, Josh and I run one once a week.We have an e-groupd newsletter was well, it comes out once week, telling the members on the list (about 35, though not all twirlers) where we are and stuff.I will add you to the list, if you don't want to be on it either unsub or e-mail me and I can unsub you.Would be nice to spin with a new person tho, hope to see you soon.Kate------------------ ~*~ Katinca ~*~

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
i only have cable, and ive never tried chain, but ive often wondered the same question because most of the people i see that are really good have chain, so is there a difference??

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Right then,I have used both quite regularly and it is really personal preference. The main advantage with chains I find is it is easier to pack them and they tend to always be detachable so you can soak your heads in sealed containers when not using them ( I have a pair of wire Poi that have non detachable handles which is a real pain)Also I like the feel of the chain while I am spinning I find it tends to be a little bit different from wire, what I suggest is that you do some twirling where there are both types available and try both then you can decide for yourself smileMark P

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I started with chains, made from a pair of dog leashes, and now use only cable. I think the main advantage of cable over chain is that when they tangeled, cable separates fairly easily but chain sometimes has to be taken off stage and put out. Cable does get kinks. Get these out by hanging them up and attaching something heavy, like a pair of boots, to them when storing. I try to transport them staight as well (with my staffs).I hardwire swivel snaps to the cable. This gives 360 swivels to each end and you can change handles and fireballs all you want.Photos:https://www.deadflesh.org/fear/buyfiretoys.htmlAnd I hear people Down Under swear by ball chain. By all means, get together with your fellow spinners and try out both. You might even meet some really cool people.Maximus[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 04 April 2002).]

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
In my opinion, ball chain is far better than cable. It looks better, is easier to store and doesn't end up with kinks. Cable can fray (as mine did), which makes wraps painful. Ball chain also untangles itself, unlike cable. Haven't tried link chain, so I can't say how it compares to ball chain.J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
dog chains are made to sit flat against skin, so they work good for wraps. the tangle problem is solved with a swivel hook on each end. ive never tried cable or ball chain, but they seem to have more problems than dog chains. ball chain seems so fragile unless you get the heavy duty stuff, and i cant find any of it in bulk, just neklaces and stuff. to me cable is the 1/4 inch stuff that they use for support lines and stuff. just not sumthin you wanna be wraping aroung ur hands and stuff.------------------Just a Thought... Ignore it if you wish...

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~