Forums > Technical Discussion > Has anyone used an inner core fire staff?

Login/Join to Participate

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Recently, I've decided that the handle on my pure flame 3 piece staff is a bit wider at the joins than I'd like, and I'm tempted to buy an inner core staff since it looks thinner at the joins.

Has anyone on here used one and have any opinions on them?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
The innercore staff is one of the best breakdown firestaffs I've ever used. I don't like the sculpted handle, but like it better than other breakdown handles so I guess I'm just being picky. Apart from that and the loose wicking (makes it absorb fuel more but lets it spray off faster too) I've almost fallen in love again.

The handle is relatively thin, especially compared to the pure flame, its seems almost impossible to bend or break by dropping and its looks good too.

I strongly recommend it from my own experience, but don't pretend that all of my preferences match yours exactly.

Cheers

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
inner core is like the snake to my mongoose - or is that the mongoose to the snake? um.. the innercore differs to the pureflame staff in that:

it's better

adding to Charle's spot on points about the differnces - it should be said that the IC handle is a slick rubber powder coating whereas the PF has like this wierd furry surface you'd generally find on the fluffy side of a velcro patch. the IC are fashioned exquisitely and always to the same length - the PF length varies if you do not construct it correctly. Callum says that the IC staff can be flexed in the middle - as the handles are formed with Fibreglass. Plus Concentrate are friendly and knowledgable when you want modifications made - and quickly too! mine was completed in a day. Lastly, the IC staff differ from PF (or for that matter any other that I've seen) staves (staffes!) by looking professional - she's moulded, has fancy graduations along the grips, and sounds like a sniper setting up when you construc them!!!
/calms down
now i need a cig...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It sounds like a sniper setting up? Cool, I'll have to get one now
Going on the strength of those 2 glowing comments, I'm now officially saving up to get one.
Although, since I have a nasty habit of impulse buying, it may take a while.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
A bit late, but anyway I love my Concentrate three piece and also highly recommend them. However, I will just point out a couple of things of interest:

The ends of the staff screw into the centre (hand piece). So, it's a good idea to check the lock nut regularly, and keep the lock nut firmly done up. Also, try not to drop the staff on hard surfaces like cement, too often.

Some people are put-off because the Concentrate three piece staff rattles a little bit. Actually, I think this is a good point and try to prevent the staff from rattling by spinning smoothly. (yes master, a bit like grasshopper walking on rice paper).

Also, the Concentrate "club knobs" that are also sold in the shop will screw into the staff ends, and you have a set of spinning clubs. Cheers

[ 22 April 2002, 18:01: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah man!
1. plus there's like these black rubber rings at the screw in bits so that the ends fit on prefectly, just prefectly!
2. it is quite illegal in several states of Australia to love my staff as, much as i do!
3. there was a third point, but he's missing.
4. this point is looking for him.
5. no wait here's the thrid point (he was earing a fake beard)
6. due to the silencer+barrel appearence and precise clang-thread sound of the assembly, the set up of the staff would make Carlos the Jackal howl. I'm sure Carlos would agree. about the howling bit anyway. Oh man the more i type the less i make sense.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Malcolm told me Charles likes his so I should be getting mine this week! (how is that for being impressionable! )

Now all I have to do is learn to torch swing! (I plan on getting a book on it!)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Torch spin Pele! as in Indian clubs. What book are you buying? I'm really into Schatz at the moment, and feel that clubs are the key to all these spinning arts. I just got the hip spiral snake and it's really helped my staff moves. I also love it that they doing the fountains and stuff over 100 years ago.

Have you considered the length of the staff length in relation to torch length? If you know what I mean. Looking forward to some club questions. Cheers

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Stone:
Have you considered the length of the staff length in relation to torch length? If you know what I mean. Looking forward to some club questions. Cheers
That just sounds dirty! I like it!
Anyway, A looooooong time ago I tried torches but was distracted by other toys. And yes, in torch I mean like clubs. This seemed like a logical solution, two tools in one, and it is something that was brought up awhile ago with the ure Flame staff but it's width overall made it difficult to swing. I have looked through Schatz, and it has come heavily recommended by some people that I know so I will prolly end up with that one, and there is another on the market (I will get back to you on the name) and eventually I will end up with that one as well I bet. I like to be thorough in my research and learning!
Thanks Stone for the infectious enthusiasm.

Pele

6,978 posts

Posted:
Torch spinning comes in two flavours, both are ribbed:

* poi-like moves (distinguished by holding the sepcial ball bit between ur pointer n middle fingers)
* sword-like moves (distinguished by holding the torch like a claymore (+3 Fire damage, of course) )

the specifically torch moves will branch out from the poi-like moves, as you learn weird stalls and throws/catches that were previously ruled out cos of the chains involved in poi. Unfortunately that's where my own growth as a torchbearer of torch bearing has stagnated - it's all just weapon moves with all the grace of a kick to the head. I am more off topic than a drop bear in an alcoholics anonymous meeting.

fireboy_001BRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
I have recently purchased an inner core staff from a company in Australia. an it extremely packable and sturdy i think it is a must if ur serious about travelling.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
i've been having dreams about concentrate's inner core staffs.. i think i need help.. that or $140!

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
How big is it once you've taken it apart in two pieces ?
the reason i'm asking is that i wonder how that would fit in my backpack when I travel ???
(please gimme centimeters, no inches .. they give me headache)...

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So I got mine today...that damn thing is huge!
It is about half again bigger than my longest staff. Both Prome and I played with it today and found the length to be difficult. We are thinking about sheering off about 6 inches from each end.
However, we both really like our twirling staves on the smaller end of the scale. No 8 footies for us!

Other than that though, I liked the rubber grip, but agree the sculpting on it is wierd. I think the screw mechanism is great, the colors are fun, the weight is wonderful. I think it is extremely well constructed in all areas. They are well worth it, I completely agree.

Cassandra, it sticks out of my backpack quite a bit, but does fit in it. I just put them in wick down. (I don't tend to do much in the way of conversions either!)

What was fun was to watch the children at the playground we were at try it, as it was much larger than they were! My son was afraid of it at first!

Pele

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Pele, thanks
Which one did you order ? Did you get the shortest one (ie the golden one if I recall correctly ?)
I am 153 cm tall ... would it be silly for me to buy such a staff ? (And yes, I know, it is very personnal choice etc .. i don't like staves that are too long though)
What do you reckon ?

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh, my god... i'mfreakin out! we've been getting such a hassle on airplanes for our fire equipment, i can't believe that those staffs break down! gonna buy me a whoppin heapa! oooohaaa!

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
you should try taking electro-glow poi on a plane with you (to the states) on a business trip... ...i got stripped down to my pants in raleigh durham airport!... ...ooh and they dismantled my mini-disk player and didnt put it back together again... ....all that grief with a 6'6" redneck standing over me with a gun

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
mehehehe, my boyf brought back his fire clubs from france, when he went (14th sept) they didnt give a damn and let him take them as hand luggage, but when he came back (12th dec)they royally kicked off, taped them up (which ripped off the deco) threw them in the hold (which battered them) and gave him hacky looks all journey...

darn!

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hopefully I won't get into too much trouble for saying this, but...

Pele (my dear friend) whatis the point in having a breakdown staff if you have short staves anyway?

The ONLY reason i want breakdowns is to make them so much easier to transport. Currently, when practicing, I have 4.2 metres (approximately 12+ feet) of staffs. (3 x 1.4 metre staffs). They don't fit into many cars, have to be held in my hands when unicyling, and are an absolute pain, even though I love them dearly.

The innercore combines the convenience and strength that I need, but surely smaller staves would be much less problematic...??

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The fact that they break down even smaller makes it much easier to transport and to explain them to the pesky patrolman when I get pulled over for having a lead foot! The look much less obtrusive at the torn apart stage. These ones I like because they become swinging torches, and I have already had great yet completely inept fun with them. When I say short I don't mean like a twirling baton that majorettes and colorguard uses, they are a bit longer than that, enough to make them a pain to travel with but fun enough to do all the cool inside stuff I love. Does that answer it Charles? (and btw, you could never get in trouble with me...I like ya too much!)

Pele

6,978 posts

Posted:
/continues gushing aboot the innercores..
oh yeah and there's the custom set that I'm gunna buy from them - a heavy double set of grey (1m) breakdown innercore staves with 4' wicking. they are soo heavy, and the dark colours make it look soo sniper chic
my gold set pack down to less than half a metre - i'm considering buying a sniper suitcase or violin case for it to inspire pheer at twirling meets....
need to start a concentrate fan club..

oh my bobo! - why must i love thee so!

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
OOO! i saved up all my money and lashed out on a purrdy blue innercore staff yesterday.. went for a spin as soon as i got home, and managed to gash a nice big hole in my arm! It was disgusting, i could see these white thread things inside my arm, uurrk! - lucky i live with 3 med students, who stiched it up for me.
I think the ends are a bit sharp, so it might be an idea to file them off a bit - although i think it's pretty unlikely that this would happen to anyone else.. i have a history of being clumsy

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Falloutboy---?????????

Gashed yourself on the innercore? I had a look at my innercore after eading your post, and there's nothing on it anywhere that could great a gash or a cut, let alone something I would be able to call sharp.

Perhaps you have different screws on yours, or they don't have the sculpted washers under them, but apart fromt hat, I'm really at a loss to see how the innercore I have could possible gash me.

Regardless of that though, I would file the end of any staff I owned, you'll get lots if litte scrapes left on it afterwards and its more likely to cut you on many different angles afterwards. You can get a range of heatproof engine repair substances like Selley's knead-it, which work like putty and set like stone. Putting a small piece of that on the end and leaving it nice and smooth and rounded would be a much better choice, in my opinion.

It still won't stop you bashing yourself real hard though

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Hi Charles... yeah, i guess i wouldn't call it 'sharp' either.. it was just the very end part of the tubing, which is cut at a 90 degree angle (others i've used have been shaved off to make a 45 degree angle). Thinking about it, i don't think it actually cut me because it's sharp, more that i just slammed it into my elbow too fast, which somehow made a big ol' hole..
In any case, i still love my innercore

6,978 posts

Posted:
Hey falloutboy, if ya dun wanna injure yourself with that blunty bit, my suggestion is perform with the innercore, and give people a crap staff with which to try, if they ask you.

why? cuz I used to lend bobo out to anything with a heartbeat and law students too. this really tears the wick off, and exposes (cue evil music) the sharp bit next time i seeyas, check out the ends man, they're totally butchered! before fixing it, the wicking was down to _half_ of its original length!

take care of the staff, and the Mafia will take care of you.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Bender_the_Offender:
and law students too
hahahahah.. Gold.. absolute gold.

I douse the ends of my staffs in "Tarzan's Grip" - so when they run into things (ie. the ground, the neighbours car, friends heads, dogs, cats, rats, trees, my previously unscratched computer screen) the wick doesn't get hurt.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
"And law students, too." Took me a moment to get it, and then I spent the next few minutes busting up.

I actually have the pureflame staff (because it's all they had on HOP at the time) and I don't like it very much. Not heavy enough to get up a good spin.

I have used someone else's innercore and it was dreamlike. The difference was amazing. But I don' t have the money to buy an innercore now.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura