PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Having grown up with Tarot cards at my disposal,which have staves as a suit, and being around Ren folk where I know staff makers and such, I seem to notice that different people refer to plurals in different ways.

For example, one to me is a staff, more than that are staves, no matter what the length, style, whatever. In my personal vocabulary this is always so and the word staffs seems linguistacally incorrect (like saying deers).

I believe it was Charles (??) who said that staff/staffs are different in length than stave/staves.

I have also read a few other mention them in other very individual ways.
So what is your definition for the terms staves and staffs.

What is the difference to you?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I always thought that "staves" was the plural of "staff", but "stave" is a word on its own, too. The meaning that comes first to my mind is the strips of wood that make up a barrel, but according to my dictionary, stave can also mean "staff or cudgel."

So if Charles wants to call a short staff a stave, that's OK with me.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
see that always confused me here as well. staves to me is just the plural of staff. huh...

anyone got a light?

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
I checked with the OED for an old thread
The plural of staff is staffs
and the plural of staves is staves
Staff and stave and stick are pretty much synonyms.
I'm in the staff ands staffs and occasionally stick camp.

The whole business about length I think was another example of charles on a mission to give everything to do with a stick a name. (you know the thread). but it only has that meaning to charles and a dozen other people.
but my issue with it is that too many names got invented in the process, for moves which already have old/ other names. this is ok for the people who invented them but is a bit like inventing a whole new language, Its non intuitive and very difficult for other people to learn it.
I have real difficulty nowdays understand what people are talking about.(but that could just be me in life.)

Saying that. I haven't got a better way of talking about staff, and I think the naming staff moves threads have really cleaned up describing staff moves for some people.
Its just difficult to describe dance with only letters.

glass

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, never knew that staves might have meant the plural of staffs...suddenly the introduction of the word in a post about 'staffs' suddenly makes so much more sense.

Glass, the naming move threads are just trying to describe the building blocks so that people can make sure they are actually talking about the same things. I found that there were virtually no staff threads despite lots of people asking for a seperate staff forum.

I'll let you guys and C@ntus into a little secret...I never expected the naming staff moves threads to actually achieve their goals. It might work out that way in four year sor longer or it may never get there at all.

The main reason I began those threads was to get people (especially those who disagreed with some of the names and terms) thinking about staff moves and hopefully to increase the number of staff posts. A little sneaky, but it seemed to work.

A month after starting the first "naming moves" thread, there was so many staff threads that Malcolm kindly thought they deserved their own section here on HoP.

I haven't been that comfortable since doing it because I have deliberately not been telling people the main reason. Hopefully not too many people will be annoyed at me...

They seem to have actually made a difference in the rotor, helicopter and figure8/double figure8 moves (all pretty basic ones) and I am proud to note that.

Doesn't mean they will be stopped anytime in the future if I can help it. I still think there is a need for this or something like it, especially as the staff posts are somtimes outnumbering the poi posts now (hee he hee )

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Mr Inferno!
I must give credit to where it's due: I think was one of _your_ posts that settled my kettle on the frequent problem what to name 'em.

"Tonight ... you pukes will sleep with your staves! You will give your staves a girl's name! Because this is the only firetwirling you people are going to get! Your days of finger-twirling old Mary Jane Rotten Poi through double loop handles are over! You're married to this piece, this weapon of iron and wood! And you will be faithful!"
- Sgt Hartman

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well, acording to Webster's dictionary Mr. Glass is wrong.

Staves is the correct plural for staff. So as long as your object fits the discription of a staff staves is the plural.

I had it out with C@ntus about this last year, but it may depend on what part of the world you're in.

Jesus helps me trick people.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I actually started using "stave" and I don't care about the difference.

The problem was that when I told people that I was going outside to play with my staff (or practice with my staff, for that matter), the snickering was merciless.

Some people have NO maturity. (Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, mind you).

Anyways, "I am going outside to play with my stave" rolls off the tongue better and cuts down on the sniggering.

Peace.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura