Forums > Technical Discussion > obtaining chemicals for colored flame

Login/Join to Participate

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
does anyone know any places online to order different chemicals for colored flames, specifically indium or potassium chloride. I'd kinda like some lithium chloride too, but I dont think I'm gonna be getting that.

any help would be much appreciated

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

FlameDamemember
30 posts

Posted:
This might help, might not I have been told that Lithium Chloride is used in the treatment of skitofrenia, I can't spell the proper word lol. So maybe speak to a chemist. I will be doing that soon I will post my results when I do.

Crimson

I believe in freedom, love, truth, and beauty.

PoiDragonmember
33 posts

Posted:
This could be a simple solution.... I don't know how old you are but if you have a college around by you or you are currently going to one find a chemistry teacher there and ask them about(but make sure it's after their classes) Ask him simply where you could get some and tell him the reason.

The Dragon of The Poi

calvranSILVER Member
61 posts

Posted:
I have some lithium chloride. It is used for treatment of manic depression or something, and I got it by asking my doctor after explaining that I was going to burn it It doesn't seem to work very well though, maybe it was just the alcohal I was using though, which went out too fast. It did make the flames slightly more red, but not enough that you would really notice if you weren't looking. A pharmicist would probably be a good person to ask, because they might be familiar with chemicals and where to get them.

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
i told a friend you were asking for sources, she didn't know, but wondered what kinds of stores too, she's only occasionally bought from magic stores as i knew. i wondered if magic stores might have some, but thought that in UK where "chemist" traditionally meant not only US pharmacist but also used to supply chemicals for non-health-improvement uses to non-patient-consumers, such as poisons, maybe crop stuff, to industries, wondered if chemicals for fire colors are more readily available? such stores don't exist in the US anymore, really, and i imagine most chemicals are regulated here so it's not casual to get most... just like calvran and Crimson think first of medical applications, which is the only round-about solution which first comes to mind in the States.

Any UK or Europeans or others on here tell us where they get their chems, please?

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
I haven't had much luck with potassium chloride, but it can be aquired at your local health foods store. I've bought it under the name "nu-salt" before. Its sold as a salt substitute for those wishing to reduce / eliminate sodium from their diet. If you get any good results with it, be sure to tell me. I tried using it in the form it come is (salt grain sized pieces) and I tried grinding it with mortar and pestel, neither produced impressive results. I'd like to experiment with chemicals designed for fireworks manufacturing soon, which can be found on the internet.

~peace~

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Boric acid. Sold as roach powder at the hardware store. Mix it with denatured alchohol (also available at the hardware store) to get a green flame. Cheap, easy.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

YamaTEKmember
30 posts

Posted:
Potassium Chloride - Available by the 18kg bag. It's used as a salt replacement for water softeners. Should be available any place that deals with water-treatment, or Walmart, Do It centres, etc.....

18kg was $7 here in Canada.

---------------Did I say Corpse Hatch? I meant innocence tube.ENOUGH PHILOSOPHY, LET'S FART!

YamaTEKmember
30 posts

Posted:
Potassium Chloride - Available by the 18kg bag. It's used as a salt replacement for water softeners. Should be available any place that deals with water-treatment, or Walmart, Do It centres, etc.....

18kg was $7 here in Canada.

---------------Did I say Corpse Hatch? I meant innocence tube.ENOUGH PHILOSOPHY, LET'S FART!

(andrew)member
140 posts

Posted:
hmm, dont know where to get the stuff, but cadmium sulphide burns with a bright pink flame...

asking your old chem teacher is a good idea, thinking about doing that myself.

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all thebad girls live.

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Lithium chloride is indeed used in the treatment of Bipolar (or manic) depression. I would suggest handling it with some care as it can cause extreme nausea and kidney problems if taken orally at the wrong dose (ask anyone who is on lithium and I'll bet their doctors bills are pretty high) If I remember correctly it can also negatively effect visual focus (very not good for when you light up I would think).
Obviously inhaling smoke containing lithium salts will have different effects then taking it orally, but they might actually be worse so please keep an eye on yourself when using them and if you feel at all off after using it I would suggest you contact a doctor.

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

nathaniel_deforestSILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
 Written by: adamrice

Boric acid. Sold as roach powder at the hardware store. Mix it with denatured alchohol (also available at the hardware store) to get a green flame. Cheap, easy.

How much of this roach powder did you use compared to the amount of fuel?

Also, can I use coleman fuel (my regular fuel and what I have found incomparably to be the best)? Does anyone know if the fuel you use matters when using color chemicals?

do you believe in something beautiful?
then get up and be it.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Nate,
Since you're a newbie I'll be nice, this should get you started

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/colouredflames.php

In future do a search please, this is one of the most common threads started here on HOP. There's loads of info in the articles section.

Go. Read. Enjoy.

M