gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Ok, dilema,

Bought some metal cable to make some poi cables with and then realised

that fasioning the ends into anything that remotely looks like

a loop is very difficult not do but to secure in that way .

Are there any bits/clips or attachments that allow one to

fold and secure the cable into a loop . The ones

that I managed to get hold of involve threading the cable through a

very large eye and then securing with two screws. This method would

be sufficient if it were not for the fact that you need two of

these things and they are reletively bulky making them totally impracticle

and adding weight that I could do without. If anyone knows any

specific remedies to this then please help. Online purchasing of such

items (if they exist) would be

quote:
FANTASTIC
cheers guys

[garbo]

[ 10 October 2002, 00:09: Message edited by: [garbo] ]

be excellent to each other: safe:

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I couldn't find any pics online, but there are these little tubes called sleeves that you can get. You put the cable through that, through your poi, and back down through the sleeve again. Then with a hammer or something, pound the thing *really* hard to fasten it together, and clip off the excess cable. (I used a vice to shut the sleeve because I wanted to be really careful, and they haven't budged.)

They come in different sizes for different gauges, and you can get them at most places they sell the cable. best of all they're less than half the size of the screw-based ones you're using now.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
To make a loop on cable you bend it over and crimp (with an appropiately titled crimping tool) a metal sleeve onto it to secure. Or have I got the wrong end of the tree?

trintekmember
107 posts

Posted:
This is what i used, takes a little looking around to find a local supplier though, i found mine at a boat shop.

Nicopress Swage

They're inexpensive, hold well, and disreguard the tool bs, just hammer it on, works better than the tool they sell for popping them on in most cases. I'd recommend the stainless steel or zinc-plated ones, as i've had the aluminum one crack after one good hammer hit.

--trin

We bleed the same blood, We cry the same tears, We have the same fears, We pass the same years, We see the same stars, Under the same skies, We pass the same time, We all live and die

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
As trintek suggested, you want cable sleeves (that's what they're generically called). Most hardware stores will have these. I use copper sleeves.

Hammering will work ok, but swaging really does work better (although the tool's a bit pricey for a one-off project).

[ 11 October 2002, 05:19: Message edited by: adamrice ]

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
adamrice,

why do you recommend copper cable sleeves?

~ Mike

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I don't specifically recommend copper sleeves over other sorts, but I've had good results with them.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Sailor25member
16 posts

Posted:
A good reason for copper is that it is relatively soft. Aluminum can become brittle expecially when heated, and cooled repededly. The metal has a tendancy to crystalize, and snap. Stainless steel will work great, but it is a much harder metal, and in order to use it, you will have to be able to apply much more force, it is also usually more expensive.
Another suggestion is to head down to a fishing store, and look for wire leaders. They are specifically designed for this type of thing, and tend to be easier to work with as opposed to ones made for boats.
DO NOT use a hammer to press them into shape, the sharp strike of a hammer causes shock tension on the metal, and seriously weakens it. It might still work for a while, or even forever, but anytime metal is put under a sharp load it will keep that memory, and becomes significantly weaker.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Save money.

Live dangerously.

Tie a knot

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x