Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
hey have any of you guys ever dunked tennis balls in rubber cement, sparked them up and played fire street tennis at night? werd.

From the makers of soylent green.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
How long would such a game last?

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
yes, once. It wasn't rubber cement though and it lasts about 2 or 3 swings till your strings burn!

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
you just gotta play far away enough so you have time to quickly tap(for lack of a better word) the strings to put out any flames before the ball gets hit back. [TEMPEST] what fuel did you use? and was it a tennis ball? ive heard racquet balls work also but ive never tried it and it prolly wouldnt work as well as a tennis ball.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
You might want to be careful with that flaming tennis ball thing. Rubber tends to get really gooey when it gets hot and if you hit yourself that flaming goo will most likely stick to your skin/clothes and give you some wicked third degree burns.

Jesus helps me trick people.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Personally, I want to see UV tennis. The balls glow in blacklight, the racket strings glow in black light, I'd bet the net glows in blacklight, as would the lines on the court. The thing on the top of the net might need to be painted with something UV reactive, but other than that, all you'd need to do is find an indoor court and mount blacklights.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Personally, I want to see UV tennis. The balls glow in blacklight, the racket strings glow in black light, I'd bet the net glows in blacklight, as would the lines on the court. The thing on the top of the net might need to be painted with something UV reactive, but other than that, all you'd need to do is find an indoor court and mount blacklights.

-Mike

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
UV tennis would be tough because UV light generally strobes. So if the ball was hit fast enough you would only see flashes of it coming towards you. I wrapped a glowstick in UV sensitive material and spun them under a UV light with disappointing results. It basically just strobes and doesn't leave "trails" at all. Sort of like a "wagon wheel" effect if that Physics reference makes sense to you.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

burntoutmember
4 posts

Posted:
forget tennis play the real thing flaming handball eliminates the problems of flaming strings just ensure you dont catcth the ball and if you do.... catch it in a fireblanket so it can be quickly extinguished

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by NYC:
UV tennis would be tough because UV light generally strobes. So if the ball was hit fast enough you would only see flashes of it coming towards you. I wrapped a glowstick in UV sensitive material and spun them under a UV light with disappointing results. It basically just strobes and doesn't leave "trails" at all. Sort of like a "wagon wheel" effect if that Physics reference makes sense to you.
See, you see this as a problem, I see this as very cool.

Takes all kinds, I guess.

-Mike

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
NYC - UV mixed with glowsticks can be awesome - I think the strobing helps.

Non-Https Image Link

More at https://www.hugbubble.co.uk/fire/uvpix.htm

Sorry if this takes ages to load...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Locofly-

We used lighterfluid after we tried with parafin cos that seemed to keep going out when we hit the ball.

After my strings broke we only had one racket so we endeed up just smacking the few balls we had as high as we could and trying to take pictures of the trails. Needless to say we failed miserably and ran out of balls quite soon.

Was a lot better in theory than it actually turned out to be plus we had no balls left and needed new strings before we could actually play proper tennis again. I reckon you should buy loads of cheap balls, have a digital camera and borrow a young brothers racket or even use somekind of bat with no strings. S'pose you could string one with kevlar somehow?!?

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
[Durbs] that pic rocks.

[MikeGinny] you could play down the length of one of those UV bowling lanes. after hours of course. hmm... sacrifice a small part of your life working at a bowling lane long enough to get the keys!

[TEMPEST] kevlar strings would rock. hmm. how would one go about this?

we could always use one of those large red flintstone bats. YEAH BOYYYY!!!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Ive never done it personally but soaking tennis balls in naptholine and playing street hockey is pretty popular around here. It work's fairly well.

Also im not entirely sure but I think the strobe effect from UV light comes from the fact that most UV lights are flourescent tubes (most of hwat I have seen anyways). Flourescent light strobes at 60 hertz (60 times a second). If you used incandescent UV lights you wouldn't have the same strobe effect because the light filement stays hot inbetween pulses of electricity and the variation in light emmitance is minimal which means hardly any strobe at all.

[ 08 November 2002, 15:01: Message edited by: Astar ]