oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
right, ive made myself some cables, and am going to build myself some cathedral wicks to go on the ends.

i am fairly sure the cables are strong enough, ive pulled them fairly hard and the joins havnt opened.... however, i really want to be sure they are safe... so i was wondering if anyone knew of anyway of testing the srength of cables (or rather the joins in the loops) without actually destroying them... as if i destroyed them id never be able to build another identical set, so that would be no use.
any help would be cool, thanks in advance.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Alumitymember
30 posts

Posted:
Just wondering, what are you using for cables?

there'll be no angels

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
bike brake cable - so they are strong enough...

ZoltarBRONZE Member
Beginner
282 posts

Posted:
In my experience when people are building something for themselves they tend to 'overbuild' things. Eg - where a tradesman may use one nail to secure something, the owner/builder would use two - just to be safe.

I find the same applies to firetoys.

So much fire, so little body hair...

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I am quite concerned that you feel bicycle brake cables are strong...

In what manner do they have strength? My understadning is they have a fair resistance to corrosion, but apart fromt hat tend to need replacement fairly often under the 'rigours' of being pulled up an inch or so and holding a pad against a wheel.

I feel the forces of poi patterns may be considerably more than that...

in my humble opinion

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Freyrmember
22 posts

Posted:
put the handle of a bucket or something of that nature throught the loop, and hang it up. Put weights in the bucket, I'd say you should be safe if you cn support 250lb or so not sure how you would fit 250lbs in a bucket, but its a good concept I think

Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men. - Seneca (5BC-65AD), Epistles

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
hey people

my question is related to the previous question. i bought thin ball chain, like the kind the sink plug is attatched to so it doesn't go down the drain, and made some tennis ball poi with it. it works fairly well,is solid, and there is no need for swivels which is good. they have fire poi for sale on this site with the same kind of chain, but much thicker.

but im thinking of making fire poi with the same thing, i've never spun with fire and im wondering if the heat might be a problem and sort of melt the chain, or the loop on the end.

i wouldn't like my first experience with fire poi end with one of the ends flying into the night and burning a house down, or worse, setting my sisters hair on fire or something.

anyone got a clue?

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles:
I am quite concerned that you feel bicycle brake cables are strong...

In what manner do they have strength? My understadning is they have a fair resistance to corrosion, but apart fromt hat tend to need replacement fairly often under the 'rigours' of being pulled up an inch or so and holding a pad against a wheel.

I feel the forces of poi patterns may be considerably more than that...

in my humble opinion

thanx charles, but i ride mountain bike trials, and when you consider the braking forces needed, these cables are pretty damm strong, ive never heard of any snap. they do stretch over time and probably need replacing about once a year...

quote:
Originally posted by Freyr:
put the handle of a bucket or something of that nature throught the loop, and hang it up. Put weights in the bucket, I'd say you should be safe if you cn support 250lb or so not sure how you would fit 250lbs in a bucket, but its a good concept I think

i will try that freyr, thanks for that,

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by yannicus:
my question is related to the previous question. i bought thin ball chain, like the kind the sink plug is attatched to so it doesn't go down the drain, and made some tennis ball poi with it. it works fairly well,is solid, and there is no need for swivels which is good. they have fire poi for sale on this site with the same kind of chain, but much thicker.

but im thinking of making fire poi with the same thing, i've never spun with fire and im wondering if the heat might be a problem and sort of melt the chain, or the loop on the end.

I've read that the general consensus is that for fire poi, you want #10 gauge ball chain or thicker. The chain you have sounds much thinner than that. I use #15 gauge ball chain, really heavy stuff, because it feels the most comfortable to me (I've played around with #13 and #10, and they just felt too light).

If you're going to want to do hyperloops and the like, I really doubt the thin chain would be able to withstand it.

E pluribus unum, baby.

tiamat_22580I will kill all mods
210 posts

Posted:
to test it just have two people yank on it very hard, if it breaks its not safe

¿

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Charles--
Bike brake cable is typically 1/16" or 3/64" (or something like that) aviation cable--the 1/16th" stuff is rated to 480 lb, and a good joint can actually be stronger than that. So I think that's safe.

#15 nickel-plate steel ball-chain is rated to 120 lb, #13 for 90 lb. Stainless is stronger for a given gauge. Aluminum ball-chain of any gauge is worthless for spinning.

My own rule of thumb is to use equipment rated to 100 lb. My guesstimate is that this gives a 2x safety margin over the most extreme loads one is likely to encounter in twirling.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hey Adam! Great to see you again...I've missed being shown up with my mental meanderings.

Ok...now I'm much happier about the brake cable thingee...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
thanks for that adam
i hung 40 kilos (about 100lb i think) on my cables successfully so, im fairly sure they are safe now