Forums > Technical Discussion > Fuel stuff (not the first, I'm sure)

Login/Join to Participate

Patchwork Jestermember
18 posts

Posted:
So, I used lamp oil for the first time today.
and for the first time, I set myself on fire.

Is this normal for lamp oil to stick like that or do I need to wear different clothing?

I typically use kerosene, for reference's sake.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Yes, but it's really no worse in that regard than plain kerosene.

White gas is less sticky, and evaporates off very quickly, so you're less likely to experience the same kind of problem with it--but of course, it has its own quirks.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
check my fuel mixes thread
its on here somewhere
ill put it back up

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
I've only used Coleman white gas. I never understood when people says it hurts them. Never in my experience. It's not even that hot wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Firenice, do you do wraps on bare skin? People say it is hot because, it is. It has a very low flash point and evaporates extremely quickly and uses a lot of oxygen. It therefore burns a lot hotter than pretty much any other spinnable fuel I can think of.

As for the topic: Stick to jeans and a natural fiber shirt. Don't wear anything that "flows" such as a feather boa or something similar. If you're a guy, many people spin topless. If you're a girl, it's one of the unwritten laws of poi you have to spin topless. I promise! Believe me!

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Maybe its me, but it seems slightly ~~~ehhhh to wrap on bare skin. I personally wear long jeans and cotton shirts. That being said...i've been hit in the face w/ a flaming monkey fist~~just got some black stuff on me. No doubt it's hot, but used correctly, its fine weavesmiley

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
That's why you don't understand why people say it burns so hot - You don't wrap on bare skin biggrin Just another reason to stay away from White Gas... not that I don't use it. All I use is White Gas, I love it to death, but it definitely isn't the be-all end-all solution for fuels.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i guess... ubbrollsmile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
In reguards to hitting yourself, consider right after you light up when your poi are soaked.

White gass= face on fire
Lamp oil/kero= black mark and oily spot. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
apparantly not. I do believe it was after i had spun for like a minute or two spank

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Quote:

In reguards to hitting yourself, consider right after you light up when your poi are soaked.

White gass= face on fire
Lamp oil/kero= black mark and oily spot. wink

I've said it a million times. Nice to see others saying it too. biggrin I've done and do stuff with lamp oil that I would have seriously injured myself it I had been spinning with Coleman. There are very few reasons to use pure Coleman.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Erm, it's cheaper in most cases? The cheapest lamp oil I can get where I live is 13 dollars per gallon, way too much. White gas is 2.50 a gallon. I'd do a 50/50 mix, but I don't have the money.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
It's a do as I say not as I do thing. I spin nothing but pure white gass, but I always suggest lampoil or Kero for others. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
If you really get desperate you can always use citronella, where i am it has got to be the cheapest lamp oil available, but some people are allergic to it, whenever a friend of mine uses it for a burn he usually ends up w\ a horrible headache, a nosebleed, and just feels horrible all around......

anyways

using lamp oil and white gas mixed is the way to go

yeah its more expensive, but your reward is a safer fuel (white gas is mad explosive, and you can easily have a vapor trail that blows the hell out of your fuel), and a much longer burn time

and for those that dont know, fuels like gasoline, white gas, denatured alchohol and whatnot have very easily lit vapors, so in essence if you light the vapors in the air they could potentially trace themselves back to your fuel and boom...not a pretty picture....also if you go to lamplightfarms.com you can order cheaper lamp oil.....you can also get kero from the airport so yeas.......

oooOOOoooh yeah....i never wear a shirt when i spin just to minimize the risk of flaming clothing, i do wraps and whatnot and hardly ever get badly burnt, just some burnt hair now and then, only time i have ever really gotten burnt was w\ steel wool, and doing neckwraps w\ double wick poi (the metal spacer apparently gets mad hot) both of these wouldnt have happened if i just practiced more, and if i wasnt spinnin at 5 am after a hard night of performing.............mistakes happen yeas, but you can usually avoid most of them if you know what your doing, and you use your head
EDITED_BY: darkpoet (1079381862)

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i use parrafin, kero to u guys, ive never had any trouble with it!

i do bare wraps and stuff, and u get a bit singed, but nothing other than that. smile other than when u wear fleeces, and then realise ur on fire!!

Ive got a cool trick with deodrant! I spray it all over my legs, whilst wearing jeans, and then hit my leg with the fire poi, and i get my legs covered in fire for like a mili second! it dosent burn hot, nor burn me. the fuel is so "reactive"? it just burns its self off so quicky!!

looks funkY!! spank but im just a nutter!

passing through, this world still lives.