Forums > Technical Discussion > Length of kevlar for cathedrals?

Login/Join to Participate

likwidSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
say i wanted a cubic cathedral, out of 2.5" kevlar...how many feet would i need [per head]?

thanks..
::me wave

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Depends on how large you want them. The HOP ones, which are probably medium sized, have about 4 feet each. If I were making them myself, I'd use 5 1/2 feet or so.

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
When we were testing our larger cube design, we decided to sell heads with 5ft each of 2.5" x 1/8". This turned out to be just about perfect, as far as getting something cube-shaped. If the trend can be extended (6ft of 3" x 1/8", etc.), that would be nice for the math.

MJ
Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:
i say we use about 5 feet of 4 inch for each, but thats just me..... ubbloco
we need some good size wicks likwid, like......makin a pair of cody's cannon balls perchance.....or something fuzzy, come find me ive got some new ideas =P

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Depends on who's kevlar. The difference between HoP's, Dube's, and Renegades is huge. For example I used 57 inches of Renegade's thickest kevlar to make a 4 inch tall wick. Which is about half of what I'd use of Dube's.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireMeccaBRONZE Member
69 posts

Posted:
It's less of whose wick and and more knowing dimensions, and who sells what sizes. As far as tapes, Dube sells 1/16" thick tapes, Home of Poi sells 1/8", and Renegade and Flamma Aeterna sell both. As far as every sample I have ever seen, all are of the same weave and content for tapes with the same dimensions (for this particular wick type we are talking about). The differences are relatively nil.

NYC, as far as your particular situation, I suspect you had 1/8" from Renegade, and, of course, 1/16" from Dube.

MJ

Flamma Aeterna

That which does not kill me, only makes me stranger.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
The formula I use is:
((width of kevlar)+0.4") x (number of folds)

I usually use ten folds in each strip of kevlar, two strips per wick, so you'll need a total of 4 strips that are 29" each.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy