FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
We've tried to address the question before but no replies...

USsians! (or whoever else got the guns....) PLEASE do something useful with your 2nd amendment, take some old wick from your poi or staff, put it up and shoot a round at it!

I'd really like to finally know whether this Kevlar has the same qualities as that Kevlar... Especially as I'm currently in Bangkok. Right now I could consider unwrapping my toys and stuffing it down my shirts/pockets!

wink

Thanks - your help is greatly appreciated smile smile hug smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well you could use this kevlar for bullet proofing if you knew how to weave it correctly thats all it is

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
This kevlar is not bullet-resistant grade. It's not a very tight weave and it's not pure kevlar, either. It's partly glass fibre at clothing grade.

This statement is false...?

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
HOP kevlar is partly glass fibre but not all firetoy kevlar is eg feuershow's is pure aramid, the only thing is the density in question.....

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
eggs-actly my point of question here.

Whoever already tried to drill through any sort of fire Kevlar will know that it's extremely ... challenging.

So unless one really fired a round at it, I guess it's all speculation...

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPKbOrxgx-w

Looking at this I'd say your props are safe, as for yourself, just don't wear red.
I've a mate who's been living in Bangkok for three years, so been following the situation. You anywhere near the free fire zones?
Good luck anyway.

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
That is NOT an uncoiled fire staff head... thats a kevlar vest designed to stop bullets.

The weaves are likely to be very different as well as the grade of kevlar, thickness and whatever else.

I'm sure that your fire heads couldn't stop a bullet... but maybe they could force one to change direction, perhaps deflecting a bullet from seriously harming you... if you really feel threatened... I guess its a "couldn't hurt" type situation.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1274192730)

hug

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Thanks MNS you really saved the day.
Where would we be without your common sense.

Anyone interested in rounds passing through things including most types of body armour, drywall, locks, magazines, etc. read this:

https://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

I guess the best way to avoid getting shot in Bangkok is to stay away from the free fire zones, don't wear a red shirt, and don't throw things at the military. But I guess you'd have to be pretty stupid to do that, about as stupid of the idea that poi is a useful protection against small arms fire.

Wow! The thought of seeing someone with poi down the sights of a rifle is gonna keep me going all day.
EDITED_BY: ArthurBrown (1274193762)

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yea - I wasn't about to take the wick, stuff it up my red shirt and run wild in BKK CBD wink but thanks for the warnings wink

Poi and staff wicking contains Aramide (Kevlar just being Du Ponts marketing name)... as such it has an enormous tensile strength - as previously mentioned, it's extremely difficult to drill through wick and a bullet does exactly that.

Wick and Kevlar for bullet proof vests certainly are different (with Kevlar being a quart in thickness as it is not designed to hold Kerosene after soaking)... nevertheless

there is Aramid in both - bulletproof vests and wick
you seem to be unable to import wick to Thailand for exactly that reason.

All the BKK riot story was only to stir up your imagination...

so I still stick to it: unless it has been tried, nobody can tell for sure...

peace

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
the weaves in those vests are different... if i remember it right, it has like 7-12 layers of kevlar and each layer has its weave arranged on different direction.

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
possibly smile it might depend on the vest. If I remember correctly there are manufacturers who make shirts from Aramid... for sure it has no "padding" like the wick on our toys to hold Kerosene...

Thanks for your input