Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > some help on the butterfly?

Login/Join to Participate

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
Heya ppl,I'm having a (really) hard time doing a butterfly in equal timing.Split time is going good, but my socks (LOL) keep bouncin into eachother no matter what i try. I followed instructions from the lessons (Holding one hand below the other, and having your palms faced upwards), but its not workin for me.. Any tips or suggestions? Would be great... :-)Happy stringin'!!!

pyro_teknikmember
51 posts
Location: england wiltshire under stonehenge with the fire f...

Posted:
I used to use socks untill I decided I would stick it out and learn properly and buy some poi..!!!! It is harder but you will notice a change when you use better equipment smileIf you want to make it a bit easier tie some cord round a sock and make a finger loop on the other end So you can still use your socks so it wont hurt when you get hit. I suppose you could check out the make poi section in this site and make some 'bag poi' the reason why i recomend this is the strings are thinner than socks (obviously) so there will be less interfernce between them (i think)well I hope i didnt totally confuse you with all that good luckpyro

handlebar moustaches are funny :)

HaZZamember
23 posts

Posted:
im a glowstringer all the way so i guess ill just try and put some long-shaped objects to the end. Socks are quite thick come to htink of it. That could help a lot... smilethx for the idea..

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Try doing it in _almost_ together time, but not quite. It will eventually feel ok to do same time for some reason... it's something to do with the angles or something. For me it just stopped hitting after a while...------------------"O! for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention." - William ShakespeareCheck out my Online Gallery!ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Blackbird is right, you need to have the poi in almost-together-time. It will look like they are in the same time to anybody watching you. I notice alot of begineers have trouble because they are doing it in "perfect-same-time" which will end up in a hit. Even when I do a one handed butterfly, one of the poi is leading the other slightly. But on film and to your audience all they see is a perfect same time butterfly, cause it is all happening very fast. I hope this helps. oh yea, I have my palms facing eachother, not facing up, everybody does it differently.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
One hand needs to be slightly in front of the other so they don't hit each other. And the action's a bit like shaking hands.Hope that helpsade

Annie Cmember
40 posts

Posted:
shocked grin shocked grin shockedYes...one handed....I would like to do this...it is all a little foggy, I have looked at the lesson but need a bit more help on exactly where the handles should be, on which fingers...etc etc....Ade any ideas...??? I take it that you are ADE from Newtown juggle workshop in Sydney....

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
AnnieC, I'm a pathetic excuse for a juggler (just learning), but visit Newtown regularly.One handed butterfly, similar again to shaking hands, I can only keep it going for a few beats. I know there are more experienced one handed butterfy people on this board who might like ot comment smile

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I've just tried to get going on the One Handed Butterfly and can go up to about 10 beats. The way I do it is one Poi strap on the little finger of my left hand and hold the right poi in my right hand.Once I'm going my left hand is a fist, little finger down and slightly pointed in, and the right Poi gets passed to be held between my thumb and fist.Hope that helps.Actually haven't mastered the split time butterfly yet, might have to go practice now!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are