Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > have you made it to that point...where you can't describe your tricks?

Login/Join to Participate

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
it sucks. a picture is worth a thousand words, and some of the stupid things I do, a picture couldn't even describe. you know what I mean? It's crap. I need to get a video camera.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
i think everyone has that. you move some way and the poi does something great. you might not see it, but you felt it happen. I think the better you get the easier it is to explain the moves.

me? i just start swinging with crazed abandon and feel out things as i go. i also tend to close my eyes. i really only use them to scan where i am, and where i'm going.

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
As long as we're talking about describing tricks to other spinners, I've not got to that point yet, I just learn some more ways of describing what I'm doing smile

If I'm talking to non-spinners though, they generally end up confused when I'm talking about moves as simply as possible.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ditto

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
totally off topic but I nearly hit a Pheasant this morning on my way to work, that was one lucky bird, must have been inches away from hitting it!

Slightly more on topic, I was trying to describe a move to a mate who does poi on msn last night and eventually decided I'd just send him a vid when I got around to it cos he couldnt understand what I was talking about, but then I'm not one for getting too technical about poi moves biggrin biggrin

Motley

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
It's even harder if you call certain moves by different names... I get very confused when people try to explain things to me, I need to be shown. On the otherside I'm not too good at explaining things either. I normally just show them and say, " You do one of these, but then you just put this here instead of here and you end up with this..."

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
this comes and goes for me. some times, i feel like i can describe any move if you give me enough words to build the image in your mind... "if a picture's worth a thousand words, i'll paint a thousand pictures". sometimes, i'll describe a move exactly how i think about the angles involved "hey try putting your leading poi thru there...", pick up poi and show them when they're still clueless, only to have them going "WTF is that?"... then they'll mention 30 minutes later "but I've also seen someone at BM who could put a waist wrap here like this..." and show me the exact same move they said they couldn't comprehend earlier verbally or visually when looking at it from the outside.

totally depends who you're talking to, i think. Rev can say "i like pants" and i immediately think of 10 specific moves... i don't know if i've ever understood a word out of Richee if it didn't come with photoshop illustrations. smile

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
well, there's this trick, you swing one on a low vertical plane behind your back/lower legs and the other in front while moving in the same direction....and then.... well. it's at about this point that all hell breaks loose and there's some behind the back spinning and plane changes where one poi goes horizontal at about chest level and i have to duck it then slow the other one down and make a couple plane changes and spin myself in a full 360 and then,.... I give up. I guess you'll have to see it sometime.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Why don't you just call it flailing?? biggrin

DedphrogSILVER Member
50 posts

Posted:
Because if you called it flailing non-spinners would understand us...*shrug*

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: stout

Why don't you just call it flailing?? biggrin

eww. then you'd have to break it down into forward flailing and reverse flailing. isolated flailing.. wait. i think you just simplified my entire poi nomenclature.

THERE REALLY IS ONLY ONE MOVE!!

wink

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
sure... the floppy flail

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Have you got to that point where you stop thinking in terms of Tricks? wink

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
I'm at the point where I think in terms of combining "elements" of poi spinning... taking a base (reel, weave, etc.) and then adding modifiers onto that (butterfly, antispin, BTB, inverted etc.). It's describable, but not a move really. Until everyone starts doing it that is wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

Have you got to that point where you stop thinking in terms of Tricks? wink

m

getting close. but there's certain "things" that I can't classify in any other way. as in a certain combination of maneuvers that I repeat now and again.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Just kiddin jaero,

I do tricks all the time. But i don't consider eg a 3 beat weave, or an inverted antispun 3 beat weave a 'trick'. They are all just movements that flow in and out of one another and to define them individually restricts the way i move (although helps very much in learning them)

However with any movement there is a trick. take for example something like an inverted weave turn.

Now in itself it isn't a trick but..... 'the trick is' to pop your elbow out at just the right moment to get the leading poi inside your arms. If you do that then the rest of the move turns out fine.

Now that 'trick' of 'getting your elbow outside the poi at the right moment' can be used in many different ways under loads of different modifiers.

But the whole community has reached a level where it's really hard to define the movements. If you haven't seen our atempt at defining it all you should check out https://www.spherculism.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
It's got a lot of useful information in it. Took us about a year to get it up to that level. There were massive discussions to get the terms as concise as possible. It's not perfect but it's very good.

It was a great excercise for the community to do because it means we've all agreed on something and we don't have to explain exactly what we mean by every word we use. It increased understanding on the site imensely i reckon.

But theres loads of stuff that no one has really even tried to name now. Like lot of the tangles, inversions and throws.

Anway, gotta get on with some stuff,

Laters,

m

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean.
but no matter how hard I try
I can'tsee hyperloops or airwraps as a maneuver
maybe once they become easy....
but until then, definately a trick

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Well the trick to tangles is the entry velocity and balancing the nexus between the 2 heads. Once you get the entry right the rest of the tangle happens with little or no input from you.

Except where you carry the tangle on indefinitely and turn them and so on.

But again there's little tricks to all that stuff too.

m

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: TheWibbler

Well the trick to tangles is the entry velocity and balancing the nexus between the 2 heads. Once you get the entry right the rest of the tangle happens with little or no input from you.

Except where you carry the tangle on indefinitely and turn them and so on.

But again there's little tricks to all that stuff too.

m

only if you wanted a static nexus to begin with. :P

and what fun would that be all the time?!

ooh. now THAT crap does get a bit hard to describe...