Forums > Technical Discussion > Wrist-problems relating to poi!

Login/Join to Participate

FlameChildSILVER Member
Pyromantic
136 posts
Location: Norway (Way way up North, on the left side of Swed...

Posted:
For the past three days I've gotten a muscular pain on the left side of the left hand, sort of under the "pinkie" finger and up towards the wrist.
I suspects it is because of the twirling.
Any one who have gotten anything similar?
And know how to make it go away? ) Any other muscular injuries that you know about.

ould be great if a "poi-doctor" could write an article about muscular injuries when spinning.
Appreciate it!

-Starspinner

-= I am the god of Hell-fire =-
-= And I bring you......fire =-

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Star, if the pain is getting the underside of your hand on the pinkie side, you may have injured your ulnar nerve.

Poi spinning is very complicated and I don't think that anyone could really predict what injuries poi spinners are most likely to suffer without doing a very careful study. But where to get the funding for such a study is...an issue.

You may want to stop spinning for a week and try to rest your wrist. If it doesn't get better, then see a doctor, but make it clear that your goal is to get back to spinning and you will not accept being told that you can never spin again.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

jaidendawnmember
38 posts

Posted:
I agree. Lay off for a bit. Still, perhaps this could help. I broke my left wrist in 5 places last october-it has never worked or looked the same. If I spin for an extended period of time, it starts to hurt-very badly. What helps is a VERY tight brace. I use heavy-duty leather manacles-they do their job and look good during performance as well.

I know other spinners that have related injuries (carpel tunnel, etc...) They also swear by wrist braces.

Also, your harnesess may have something to do with it. If you are only using finger loops you are putting quite a bit of weight, pressure, force, etc.. on only two digits. I would recommend getting full finger-palm-wrist harnesses for your poi. Hope everything turns out well for you. Much love and tenderness sent to you and you gnarled hand

~~Every Object, Every Being, Is A Jar Full Of Delight...~~

aimecelestemember
19 posts

Posted:
There's another post in Poi-techniques under Wrist Clicking that has some really good info, if you want to take a look over there.

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
I had a sore left hand wrist on the pinky finger side problem when i first started. I didn't do poi for a weekend and then a bit less then usual for the next 2/3 days. I have been fine since. Hope u get/r better!
Luv 2 ya All
Fwirl

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?