Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
Ok, what is best to start with a staff or poi's?
I wanna learn

Ill only bite if you ask me nicely.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Grab a pair of socks and stuff rolled up socks into each one - you've then got some poi.
Then grab a broom handle - you got a staff.
Then look at the lessons and moves on this site and have a play around with both, then decide which you prefer.

Sorry I couldn't be a bit more helpful, but it's really just down to personal choice.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
best way to find out is to put some socks inside some other long socks and spin them for a while, then get a broom, take the brush off and twirl the staff for a while, see which you find more comfortable.

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Cool.
I must have clicked the post button just a couple of seconds before Sub. both replies were there when it reloaded.
Great minds think alike eh?
The same advice from 2 different sources can't be all that wrong

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
i thought i read Pele say somewhere, that it was easier to transfer from poi ~> staff

than staff ~> poi

anyone else notice this?

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
First time I picked up a staff I got some of the basic moves pretty easily. Who knows how much of that is due to poi experience though?

Must do more staff...

trance guymember
11 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with the others on this, the sock thing works really well. I think the best thing to do is decide which you want to learn more, where will people see you? what is easiest for you to learn? and what you like most overall. hey good luck with whatever you choose and kept postin your questions and concerns if ya get stuck, have fun!

Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
Thanx so much, well im really gonna try hard, i will try the sock thing first and then work my way up = )

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Whooa horsey, hang on!!!

I've been staffing for a few years and I very recently took up poi too. I found it easy changing over in this direction, and I found I could master the majority of the poi moves in a few days.

It probably works both ways really, just get into one of them and have some fun!

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Cacophany_catmember
20 posts

Posted:
Hehe I will try anything

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Like PyroPhile I too started out with staff and went into Poi and also like PyroPhile I found that I picked up Poi moves really quickly. Let's just get one thing straight, don't be a tard like me and start twirling with fire before you start at all Big Mistake. I found staff easier when I first started. Reasons being to why I'd recommend this is that Staff is more definate, more real then Poi. When I first started Poi I was told that they were Crazy, Dangly Thingo-Majigs that have a mind of there own and need lots of practise to get right. The lessons on HOP are great taught me everything I know and showed me in directions of combining and creating new moves Work with either, try both and see what you like but you'll get addicted to fire so much that everything can be twirled with fire! *Looks over at his Hoops, Flags, Poi, Double Short Staff, Single Long Staff, Fans, Swords* Everything can be set on Fire and Twirled

Have Fun and Smiles to All

Dave

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!