Girmember
9 posts

Posted:
I know what wraps are, and how to do them..like, around the forearms and legs...but do many people actually do wraps around the poi hand? For instance, how lifeguards spin they're whistle and it wraps around their fingers?

Non-Https Image Link

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom doom doom doom doom do-doom doom DOOM..doom doom do-doom doom doom doom

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
Usually when i'm poin, i'll end with a lil martial arts jet-li style moves (as called by my classmate), then i'll just have both poi wrap around the hand which holds them. This allows for an easier exit if you're in a circle.

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
as a matter of fact, I do. you can do a weave(forward or backwards), then open up and open your hands, letting the poi wrap around your hands, then go back into the weave, and unwrap about halfway through the weave. keep in mind, this is a fluid motion and the poi don't stay wrapped on your hands more than a 1/4 to 1/2 of a second, and you don't grab onto the poi, they are free to wrap and unwrap. (I use finger loops, but other configurations might work, like wrist wraps using handles?)

I also do a doulble handcuff wrap from a forward butterfly, does that count?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I don't really see that many people do this particular move, however I do it. I must say when you do this with fire, and you actually grab the wick in your hand for a moment. It looks cool as hell.

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
ALso, try this...
Wrap the chains around your hand and right when the poi are about to hit and change direction, flip your wrists to the inside. The poi will unwrap in the same direction they wrapped...to observers it appears as though they just spiraled into your hands and spiraled out again. v cool.

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
So I absolutely fell in love with wraps. I adore putting together 15 wraps in a row everywhich place on my body I can possibly think of. But right now i'm just doing them with my Glowsticks and Lightwands (*oh how I adore my Lightwands*). So what's the deal with doing wraps with fire??? Safe? Not safe? Where safe? How safe???? I love the fire, but miss my wraps...cant they all be friends?
Luv,
*Space*

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
I saw some truly amazing poi at a free party in bristol the other day - it involved a sort of low wave move but one poi was then slowly wrapped around fingers (very much under control) until it was about half length (also still doing low wave) then once it was wrapped that one was extended at the same time as the first was unravelled (at exactly the same rate).

Looked really good and was executed really well!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Was it actually a wrap, Mark? Or just shortening then lengthening the string length?

I think I like that... shortening during reverse weave then lengthening during forward as a move. Could be cool.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
ooooooooh where did you get the 'invader zim' pic from????

i want!

(sorry, nothing about wraps i know *sigh*)

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
NYC - yep I think you are right again there I think it is just a shortening move but it is done really smoothly by wrapping the fingers.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It'd be nice to work that in... up until now I've been "doin' a bunch of tricks" stopping, changing length of the poi by wrapping my hands a bit and then "doin' a bunch more of tricks.."

I never even thought of making the transition smoother and more elegant. I guess I'm just a dumbass.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Shh you speak of an aspect of poi that will only lead to your downfall... Do not tread deeply into the 3-d poi moves.. Only pain and anger will come.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
lol Knagi,

sounds like you were taling about the Dark Side of Poi there!!

I have got to the stage now where the light side of the Poi has come together fairly well and I am wanting to visit the Dark Side